Thick green algae and dark pool water

LindyP

Jan 27, 2024
Bahamas
Our pool guy quit when I was unable to return to the house, he had not been going to the pool as often as he should and it got away from him so he quit, leaving the pump off for 4 weeks. The pool is full of green slime and so dark you cannot see the bottom. I am in the process of emptying the pool to jet wash and acid wash to try to get the plaster clean as it is stained in places. Its a SWG pool with cartridge filters and I am concerned about locations I cannot get to once I put in new water that may start the algae bloom all over again. I am in the Bahamas so cannot get now filters easily will I be ok to use the filters and have been filtering out lots of algae prior to water replacement.
1. Any suggestions as to what I may be able to treat the filters with to eradicate the algae that may be lurking in the filter.
2. Will a cartridge filter survive jet washing.
3. Should I slam the pool once the water is replaced and it is up and running.
Thanks Lindy

Our pool guy quit when I was unable to return to the house, he had not been going to the pool as often as he should and it got away from him so he quit, leaving the pump off for 4 weeks. The pool is full of green slime and so dark you cannot see the bottom. I am in the process of emptying the pool to jet wash and acid wash to try to get the plaster clean as it is stained in places. Its a SWG pool with cartridge filters and I am concerned about locations I cannot get to once I put in new water that may start the algae bloom all over again. I am in the Bahamas so cannot get now filters easily will I be ok to use the filters and have been filtering out lots of algae prior to water replacement.
1. Any suggestions as to what I may be able to treat the filters with to eradicate the algae that may be lurking in the filter.
2. Will a cartridge filter survive jet washing.
3. Should I slam the pool once the water is replaced and it is up and running.
Thanks Lindy
You just need chlorine to clean it up as well as a TFP test kit. Are you able to get one from tftestkits.net over there?

Reactions: Mdragger88
No pressure washer for the cartridges.
While draining, cleaning & refilling is the fastest way to clear up the swamp its not completely necessary. The
SLAM Process will work but it will require lots of liquid chlorine & your time to get the job done.
You should still do the slam process to completion (until passing all 3 end of slam criteria) after refilling to ensure you’re algae free but it will likely be alot faster than if you hadn’t drained/ refilled.
Be careful about draining if you’re unsure of your water table- you don’t want the pool to pop out of the ground

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.