These readings MUST be off - this thread is for my brother who is joining soon

Ok, so this thread is yet another example of horrid pool store testing....

My brother got his TFT test kit

FC - 32 PPM
CC - 0
CYA - at least 200 - (he was unclear on how to dilute, but the first test the dot disappeared not even half way up to 100)
pH - I don't even think we can test with FC that high....

Is it safe to say that a starting point would be to drain at 1/2 the pool and refill.

He has a vinyl in ground pool - so I think that is safe...do we all agree ?

I know technically he should understand EXACTLY what his CYA is, but that won't happen till I get out there and I am traveling again this week.

I can test next week I think, after he drains and refills.

Anything else I think should wait for the refill.

Please confirm our course of action or what other tests we should provide.

Drain halfway? No. Drain whatever it takes to get to a foot remaining in the shallow end. He has to leave some in there or the liner may shift or wrinkle. He will have to do the dilution test with the CYA, period. That is a logarithmic scale, more or less. Halfway to the 100 mark may be 300!

Draining and refilling is the best thing for him to do to keep busy until you're there to help. I suspect if he doesn;t leave the chemistry alone, he'll enbd up with a pool like this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/74854-How-do-I-fix-this-Foam-Ice-Bergs-plus-Green

Drain halfway? No. Drain whatever it takes to get to a foot remaining in the shallow end. He has to leave some in there or the liner may shift or wrinkle. He will have to do the dilution test with the CYA, period. That is a logarithmic scale, more or less. Halfway to the 100 mark may be 300!
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/74854-How-do-I-fix-this-Foam-Ice-Bergs-plus-Green

Gotcha fair enough....but if he is freaking about draining the pool that low, is it ok to drain half way, then drain half way again, etc. ?

I hate to tell someone else to drain that low and then his liner (which is only a few years old) does something wonky.

If he bought a five way test kit, it does come with a chlorine neutralizer that is used, one drop, before putting in the five drops of red. It does neutralize the chlorine so that you get a more accurate PH result.

Well, I don't know if it's the same kind of test or if it's as accurate. It's just what that little kit came with. Keep in mind it also told me never to have my chlorine above 3 and didn't even mention the existence of cya... Too bad I finally threw mine away. Otherwise I'd get the little book out and read it for a laugh... lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so are you saying that unlike the TFT kit, there is a pH testing method out there that allows us to test when FC about 10 PPM ? Now confused.....
Yep, I do not know how high FC can be for the test to be accurate. I just know there is a "one drop" solution that comes with the five way kits that is a chlorine neutralizer. You put one drop in the water and swirl, then add five red drops.

No stress, he will play around with it until the real kits arrives. It would be interesting to hear how the two readings compare.

The Taylor pH test has the neutralizers mixed into the reagent. It is one of the best pH tests and it gets messed up above 10ppm. No way the Walmart version is better. There are some pictures showing the Taylor pH test and trying to use extra neutralizer ... it did not work.

If there is no main drain, then renting a submersible pump from a hardware store or rental store is the best option. They are higher GPM units and it goes faster. Otherwise he can buy a cheap submersible pump from a hardware store, but it will take longer... maybe not such a bad thing as it gives more time for you to show up and help him.

To be honest, I admire your willingness to help but until HE is willing to embrace taking control of his pool, not much will change.

EDIT:
As I thought about it a little bit, you can also create a pseudo-main drain with a manual vacuum line and a skimmer. Insert line into skimmer bottom hole or use the skimmer plate for vacuuming and put the other end of the hose on the bottom of the pool. This will only work as long as you can isolate just that skimmer and not break the seal on the line. Otherwise you'll lose head and then be forced to go the sub pump route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.