The Zodiac "Barracuda" MX8 Suction Side Cleaner

I had a MX8 for about 1 month, replacing a very old Arnesion (Hayward Navigator). Ended up selling it to my friend due to a few issues with my very rough plaster pool:
It didn't pickup some very small and light particles, played with more and less flow, but it would push some of the light stuff out of the way instead of suck it up.
It didn't fit or work well with my Hayward auto-skimmer vac/skim adapter.

On the plus side it moved great, never got suck and could get right up to the water line to clean the tiles.

I have decided to resurrect my 1" dedicated pressure cleaner line and will be getting a pressure, The Pool Cleaner.

mx702 said:
I am in the market for a sweep for my new pool. I had all but made up my mind to purchase The Poolcleaner suction-side 4x mostly due to the rave reviews given here, but the MX8 has certainly piqued my interest. One thing that concerns me is that most of the comments on this board regarding the MX8(and the PC for that matter)seem to come from users with gunite pools that have gradual/gentle slopes at the wall to floor interface. I believe this is ideal in that the intake/suction area is always flush with the pool surface. My pool is a rectangular, vinyl with a traditional 8ft, hopper style deep end with sharp angles where floor transitions to wall. This is where 90% of the dirt + debris accumulates in my pool. I'm envisioning the sweep having a difficult time exracting dirt from these areas. Anyone care to comment or share any experience you might have? Thanks.

The red line illustrates where dirt builds up in my pool:
rectanglered.jpg

I have the exact same problem with my pool and was wondering if anybody with the mx8 has any experience with this issue? Does it get into these corners to clean them out? I'd like to pull the trigger on this soon before the rebate is gone.

ssusca said:
mx702 said:
I am in the market for a sweep for my new pool. I had all but made up my mind to purchase The Poolcleaner suction-side 4x mostly due to the rave reviews given here, but the MX8 has certainly piqued my interest. One thing that concerns me is that most of the comments on this board regarding the MX8(and the PC for that matter)seem to come from users with gunite pools that have gradual/gentle slopes at the wall to floor interface. I believe this is ideal in that the intake/suction area is always flush with the pool surface. My pool is a rectangular, vinyl with a traditional 8ft, hopper style deep end with sharp angles where floor transitions to wall. This is where 90% of the dirt + debris accumulates in my pool. I'm envisioning the sweep having a difficult time exracting dirt from these areas. Anyone care to comment or share any experience you might have? Thanks.

rectanglered.jpg

I have the exact same problem with my pool and was wondering if anybody with the mx8 has any experience with this issue? Does it get into these corners to clean them out? I'd like to pull the trigger on this soon before the rebate is gone.

Well I have been using the MX8 for a few weeks now and am pretty happy with it. No it's not perfect, but it does do a heck of a job. My pool is Grecian with 45 degree drop from shallow to deep end. The walls in my shallow end are 90 degrees from bottom while at the deep end they transition from 45 to then 90 degree. In any case, the MX8 has no issues climbing the walls on either end of my pool nor collecting the dirt in the transition corners. It can climbs right up the 90 degree angle just fine. It's actually amazing that it can do it. It will climb and then rise to surface and clean the side for a few seconds before transitioning back down and moving on. Again I have to say I am relatively impressed. I have never had another cleaner besides the manual vacuum but this thing is very good particularly for the price ($300 after rebate). I will also say my pool has never looked as clean as it does now in the 5 years that I have had it. My water right now is like glass; so clear it's amazing. I definitely attribute it to the cleaner, which is picking up much more sediments than my regular vac, along with some filter savers I have added. The filter savers truly capture all the fine pollen and gunk that my sand filter can't seem to trap. I picked up a pack of 5 for $5. Also use them periodically on the intakes. This combination has my pool crystal clear.

Now for the bad news. Really not so bad but as I mentioned in another post, I don't think any unit is perfect and the MX8 is no exception. The few issues I have with it is 1. it won't climb my pool steps. I have fiberglass steps and there is an extra lip on the bottom that protrude out then back in to the pool wall. I don't think this is really an issue unique to the MX8. I bet any robotic cleaner would have an issue in this scenario. 2. Time. The unit moves randomly around the pool from one end to another. Thus it takes time to fully clean the pool. For me it's about 2+ hours. I can clean the pool faster than that (which is probably why I've never had it so clean before :wink: ) Again, same situation here in that I think any robotic cleaner will take just about the same amount of time. There are some units that claim 1 hour but have some doubts personaly if that is physically possible and still do a good job. Just my opinion.

Again, I am very happy with the unit and definitely recommend it to anyone; particularly at the current price point. The 2 minor issues I mentioned above are just that minor. I can place the unit on the stairs manually to clean as well as set it up early in the day to clean and come back a few hours after taking care of some other chores. Again, I would recommend anyone contemplating this unit to jump on it before the rebate offer expires. Also I'll mention I have a vinyl lined pool and have not experienced any issues with it. The MX8 does not physically scrub the walls like a robotic unit so there are not the same issues of it scratching the vinyl or leaving marks. I believe I read a concern about this in another post, thus figured I'd mention it. Hope this helps those still considering one.

I noticed the manufacturer has a warning for vinyll liners. Has anyone had a problem with thier liner being caught in the cleaner or any other issue? I have a spot on the bottom of my shallow end where the liner is creased. There are 4 or 5 creases about a foot and a half long. Are these going to cause problems for the MX8? I'm planning on getting a new liner next year. t
Thanks

MX8 is GREAT! We LOVE it! Don't have a huge pool like some, but this thing had the pool clean in about 2 1/2 hours. Easy to get going. It will not do stairs, which is fine. I think I'm in LOVE! Does kick up some off the bottom that you have the filter out, but other than that I'm very pleased. Runs to the top and cleans the tile. Deep to shallow doesn't seem to bother it at all. It does quite a bit of spinning in one place, but it keeps on truckin. Ours plugged in direct to the skimmer and tested out at 3. When we put the regulator on there it shut down the flow and wouldn't run, but perfect without it. Very happy with the purchase here. Thanks for recommending it!

JJ :cheers:

Had to register to tell you guys thank you for posting all your results with this cleaner. We are moving to a new home at the end of the month and spent $45 to rebuild the hayward cleaner that is there with little results. After searching I was able to track one down that was brand in in the classifieds for $150 :shock: at that price I could not pass it up and currently it is in our pool running to test it and working like a champ. Can not wait to get it in the new home's pool

mwright said:
I noticed the manufacturer has a warning for vinyll liners. Has anyone had a problem with thier liner being caught in the cleaner or any other issue? I have a spot on the bottom of my shallow end where the liner is creased. There are 4 or 5 creases about a foot and a half long. Are these going to cause problems for the MX8? I'm planning on getting a new liner next year. t
Thanks

I thought I mentioned this but no, there are no issues with my vinyl pool. I also have 2 creases, although in the deep end on mine, and have not experienced a single issue. Only issues are as I mentioned in my earlier post. Honestly I couldn't see how it would have an issue with vinyl as it doesn't scrub the vinyl, only suction. Again no issues here and I've have used it at least a half dozen times now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well there was a HUGE dust storm yesterday. Here are some pics http://www.azcentral.com/photo/19440#phototop When I got home from work today the pool was about 80% clean and you could see where the cleaner missed. Now I noticed that the cleaner was not moving and upon looking closer some pieces of palm were entangled around the fins that move inside. So if these would not have gotten tangled I think it would have been 100%. Overall still highly impressed with it and just have to keep an eye on it closer to make sure no pieces of palm fall in or get sucked into the skimmer

Where do you plug this in? My pool does not seem to have any suction ports except the skimmers and the main drain. I have an A&A infloor system that simply can't keep up with my oak trees. Am I missing something?

nicholg2286 said:
Where do you plug this in? My pool does not seem to have any suction ports except the skimmers and the main drain. I have an A&A infloor system that simply can't keep up with my oak trees. Am I missing something?

It plugs right into the skimmer section. Simply remove the skimmer basket and connect the included valves / connectors. It's described pretty well in the manual. If one wasn't included, you can download a copy right from Zodiacs site.

My skimmer has a venturi that blows water into the pool under the skimmer (I can valve this off) in addition to an air venturi above the water line that both need to be plugged. Does the barracuda come with the equipment needed to do this?

ssusca said:
mx702 said:

rectanglered.jpg

I have a very similar pool design and the robot picks up about 90-95% of debris from the crevices. I only received it yesterday and this is my first robot, so I'm still learning. Is anybody else experiencing the same?

Things I have learned so far.....first, hook everything up and take the robot to the farthest point in your pool from where you connected the hose (skiimer or suction) and then remove any extra sections of the hose.

Second, if you lose prime, prime the pump without the hose connected (I'm using my skimmer). It will save time.

Third, my robot would spend most of it's time in the deep end, I removed two sections of the hose that I didn't need and it's much better. (refer to first step mentioned above).

Now I'm off to manually vacuum the pool for the remaining 5%, remember this is 5% of the crevices, the rest of the pool is nice and clean.

mx702 said:
rectanglered.jpg

I have a very similar pool cut out 18x36 with a 3-8ft drop. I don't know the exact angles but I can tell you that mine appears to have sharper angles than my neighbor and this is likely due to mine having a dive board. I've had my MX8 for a little more than a month and overall I am pleased with it. I am a noob to both pools and pool cleaners so keep that in mind. The areas in red as well as the two corners in the shallow are my dirt ends just like you describe. The MX8 will cleean those areas but it will take some time. When I've watched it (which is hypnotic) it will chug right towards a dirt area and then turn another direction. The randomness does eventually get to those problem areas. I guess if it is really bad there you can just plop the manual vac in the spots that aren't getting coverage. I've also picked up the clean and keep transfer it to the deep end if I'm around. I would say the 2-3 hours is about the right timeframe to get complete coverage (it won't get my steps). I have rounded corners on my pool and the MX8 does have problems getting up those corners if it hits them dead on, but if it was already partially up the wall and turn sideways it would be fine.

It appears it will take forever and a day to get the rebate. I doubt it really takes 6 weeks to open an envelope and send me another one, but so long as I get it no harm no foul. I was able to call the 3rd party place that is handling the rebate and they said it takes about a month to get your status to show up on the web site and then 2 weeks after that. So long as they don't have a dog waiting to eat it and lose it I am OK with it. If anyone does get their rebate or not please post as many of us including me purchased from pool supply sales online (they do send you the form with serial and their member number).

My pool is a vinyl IG 18x36. I have one return in my shallow. I have two jets in the deep. I have steps off to one side in the shallow that has two jets. Wind blows from deep to shallow. I have a 1HP Hayward Super Pump. I don't feel great about plugging anything into my pool return skimmer. First because it removes the basket and thus debris will get through the line and into my filter (which yes does have another basket). Secondly, is there any chance I could affect the connection of flex PVC that is connected underneath of the return/skimmer? I would hate to cause a problem there and then have to rip up concrete to repair that. I think I can get around one of my concerns just by adding the leaf basket. Most of you keep talking about tons of leaves and pine needles. I don't have a tree within 100 feet of my pool so I am probably being over protective. I do have tons of dirt around my pool site as it is new and the landscaping hasn't grown in yet.

My only real issue is a partial love/hate with the flow. If I set the flow meter so that the MX8 has a bunch of suck, then the cleaner does climb the walls fine but then it surfaces and kind of spins in place for a good minute before turning and then going back into the water. The only portion of the MX8 that touches the liner is the rubber tracks it uses for wheels. I am concerned that over time if this minute it surfaces in place could start rubbing the pattern off the liner? If I set the flow meter for less suck then it can't climb the walls and it spins in place at the bottom. Is there anything with my setup that could be helping/hurting? I can't reasonably add a dedicated vac line or add a return. Would getting a variable speed pump or one beefier (have 1HP) make that much of a difference? Another item that is related to pump is I have a self prime pump and when I run the MX8 I tend to lose prime or the basket at the pump looks like it is 90% fulll.

For those that have an MX8 and preferably a vinyl, what is the behavior when the MX8 does surface? I had one session where when the MX8 would surface it would either immediately turn back down or it would lose suction and just fall slowly to the bottom where it would pick back up. Most of the time it reaches the top and then gurgles in place for a full 30 seconds or more and then turns and heads on its way.

I just installed my MX8 today and love it! I do have two questions:

1.) When it climbs the wall it surfaces a little and I assume takes in air. Is this bad for the pump? My flow is at 3 and when I turn it down it doesn't pick up as much dirt and moves slow.

2.) I only have a main drain and one skimmer. When running the mx8 I have main drain closed and this plugged into my skimmer. Should I be removing this every other day or something and opening up my skimmer and main drain? Or is this ok to always leave hooked up while pump runs? Is it still filtering enough water running this all the time?

Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.