The process of installing our Intex 26'x52" pool

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend. I've been out of town a lot lately so I need to do some maintenance on my yard before I take pictures. Salt and BBB are not mutually eclusive, they go hand in hand. Salt water generator or straight chlorine is still chlorine, the method of chlorine delivery is where they differ.

I've noticed a few tiny pin points of rust and I'm going to sand them and touch up with maybe some rustolium paint.
I need to disassemble and clean my intex salt water generator tomorrow. It keeps switching to the service light. I really miss the swg working. It's always something no matter which way you go, but it is so worth it and the methods taught here are priceless.

I was on the fence over the 22' vs 26' . I finally decided to get the most pool I could for the space. If I had gotten a smaller pool, that's what I'd have had to deal with for the duration. I have no regrets about getting the 26'. My grandkids love the pool, lots of room to play. I love to get a glass (plastic of course) of iced tea, a raft and a hat, get the tunes going and just float around and relax. Right by myself.

Tip number whatever: leave yourself a little wiggle room between your pool side and the pump/filter. I placed mine a little closer than I like. Even 6 - 10" farther away from the pool would help. Once the filter is full of sand and water, there is no moving it (at least for me) as it is extremely heavy and I'm afraid I'll damage it (or myself).

To number whatever +1: I had my deck built at the same level as the pool, with a small space so I could put the cover on it. I'm not entirely sure, but I think putting it over the rail (with space for the cover) might have been better. Only because it would protect the rail from being stepped on. Maybe the other deck guru's on here will have some input on deck height.

I cannot wait to watch your journey thru your pool build. It is so exciting!

Here a few pictures showing my deck. I love it!

This is my deck, all decked out.

My sister trying to coax Holly (one of my two Shih Tzus) into the pool.

Holly on a float in the middle of my pool

Holly playing King of the Hill!

Okay, more pics of the dog than the pool. But, she's the only one out of 3 dogs that loves to get into the water. I love her!

Whatever happened with the electrical side of the install? I was reading along and then the story was dropped :( . Did it cost a lot to get the electrical up to code? I am jealous of your huge pool, my little 14x48 is not cutting it! I don't have a large space in my yard to go much bigger, though :) .

JLSgirl, sorry about that. I had family health issues and was off the board for a while. It took some time to locate an electrician. Angie's List rocks! Found a wonderful electrician. He is a firefighter and does electrical work on the side. A very honest and reliable man. He did the work for a very fair price. Roughly half what every one else quoted. Some of them wouldn't even call me back. And those that did, quoted absurd prices. I can only assume they didn't really want the work?

He ran the wire from an existing GFCI outlet, and put the switch out near the pool. The inspector insisted that everything be hardwired which now poses a whole other set of problems since the swg has pooped out on me and I need to remove and fix it. :hammer:
Over all it went well I guess. :rant: the electrician made two trips, the inspector only had to make 5 or 6 trips out,his boss had to make 1 trip, I had to rebuild part of the wood steps and build a gate for them.

Demote, I think I got the steps from amazon. There was an outside ladder too. Both parts were rated at 350 # but it turned out the outside ladder was actually rated only to 250#. That was a problem for some guests and I needed sturdier steps up to the deck. So, I sold the outside ladder and bought the wooden steps. The inside steps are fine since we anchored them to the deck. I would like to replace them tho with something a bit wider so someone can sit on the steps and another person has room to go up or down beside them.

I still need to landscape around the pool. I have some of the supplies on hand just haven't had the time to invest in landscaping and it has rained so much my yard is soggy. It's difficult to mow most of the time. I'm considering installing a French drain to help dry my yard out some.

Here is a pic of my purdy pool water from last summer. Since my swg died, I've been struggling to get it back from a rainstorm induced algae outbreak that took hold while I was out of town. I've almost got it licked. I'm balancing chemicals and filtering, filtering, filtering. It'll get there again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 343
Your pool is beautiful!!! I can't wait to get mine up and going.... We are going to use the foam insulation as well I suppose. Are you glad you went with that or would you have done differently? I assume Lowes or Home Depot will have the foam...

Thank you for the pictures!!!

I LOVE the insulation being under the pool! I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Just do the 3 layers of gorilla tape as is advised on this forum. I did not and could kick myself. With only one piece of tape, the weight of the water WILL cause the insulation sheets to separate. 1 layer right down the joint, 1 layer to one side but over lapping the first layer, then 1 last layer on the other side of the first, overlapping slightly. This gives the tape more tooth and stability. As they say, hind sight is 20/20.

I put down the blue tarp that comes with the pool, then I lay down one end of another tarp that was 30' x 60'. Smoothed it all out, topped thr with the insulation and then folded the other half of the big tarp back over the insulation. Kind of like an insulation taco. I think I found the insulation at Lowes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pictures of my pool as of this morning
I'm tickled that it finally cleared up so well! The chems were out of hand a while back when we had lots of rain and I wasn't home to take care of things.

All better now! :party:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 308
Awesome!!!! I am soo jealous! The guy can't come to level the yard now until Monday :( We have had around 11 inches of rain for July...... The bottom dropped the day before he was to come. That is so my luck......

We swapped out the SandPro filter and pump for a Hayward Matrix 1hp 2sp pump and a Hayward S220T sand filter. I took out the intex return and replaced it with a standard return and added a Venturi return eyeball. The hole thru the pool wall is too large for the standard return fixture so we devised a support for the return. We took two electrical junction box covers, used a hole saw to cut a 2 1/2" hole thru each one, scraped the burrs off, cut a couple new gaskets and put it all together. Starting from inside the pool, the sandwich goes like this: Venturi, cork gasket to keep the eye still, return (inside portion), modified junction box cover, return gasket, pool wall, cork gasket, black gasket (not entirely sure what this one is made up of), modified junction box cover, return gasket, return nut. We then attached an adapter and the hose. I am including pictures. This gives support to the return and hose while modifying the size of the hole so the return cannot slide sideways or pop thru the hole.

Electrical junction box cover and hole saw:

Box cover and gaskets (I used my Cricut machine to cut the gaskets)

Installed: that's the Venturi eyeball making all the wild water! You can see the junction box lid in this shot.

New pump and filter: Hayward Matrix S15922S, 1HP, 2SP. :party:

I turned the Venturi valve/return skyward, just to see what it would do. :lol:

Here I have the pump on low :)

Here it is on high! My pool is 26' in diameter. The water was hitting the far wall! :shock:

A stock picture of the Venturi return

Sgtcampbelld,

Thank you! :wave:

It is the largest that I could fit n my space. 6' off the back porch and side fence and about 8' from the garage and our back fence. Over the years our backyard has filled up. Very little left to mow these days. Had to leave SOME grass for the puppies tho! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.