The PoolCleaner Suction/Pressure Dilema

jblizzle said:
Have you considered something like this:
http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/best ... 1100/83869

I am not sure if these have been rebuked on this site for not working or something ... just throwing it out there.

It was suggested to me that if I did go with a suction side option, a rig like this might help by allowing me to draw off the bottom drain line. However, my local PB said something like, "Those things look great and don't work for s*it." So, it would be an post-installation experiment, if anything.

Thanks-
-stephen

Here are the pictures of my setup using the suction (skimmer) for a pool cleaner.

This picture shows all the pieces laid out in the order they go in:
Poolcleanerskimmerparts.jpg

This picture is the suction regulator valve that came with my Kreepy Krauly. It is spring loaded and opens up in the skimmer to allow some flow to the skimmer. The more suction you have, the more it opens up.
Poolsuctionregulator.jpg

This picture is showing the skimmer plate that the regulator sits in. The basket is installed below.
Poolcleanerskimmerplate.jpg

The last picture has the hose connected. The plastic clamp is needed to keep the smimmer plate secured because when the pump shuts off for the day, there is a momentary backflow that can unseat it. There are also 4 little cheap valve-like things that open and then close.
Poolcleanerinstalled.jpg

Your biggest challenge to make a system like this work for you could be an issue with the dimensions of your smimmer box. That skimmer plate is a custom Kreepy Krauly part made to fit 2 different diameter skimmer openings. When I bought my Kreepy Krauly, there was a coupon in the box to order these parts for $5. Otherwise that is probably $65 worth of parts. You must have enough depth as well.

The biggest concern with all suction side cleaners is preventing air from getting into the system. That can be caused by parts coming loose or a hose splitting after a few years. There is nothing worse than coming home from work and finding that a hose split... and that your pump has been sucking in air for a couple of hours. When that happens, your pump seal is trashed. Ask me how I know :cry: . Next job.. pump rebuild.
But seriously, if all pieces are secured properly, the hoses will last about 4 years, and frankly, here in Florida, I can usually only get about 4-5 years from a cleaner before it begins to deteriorate or you can no longer justify expensive repair parts.

Wow... Thanks John! This pictures really help.

When I was a kid we had a kreepy in my parent's pool and we never used a skimmer plate. I have a couple of questions about it:

1) Does the cleaner hose pass through the skim plate? Or, does the skim plate connect to the suction port, and then the cleaner hose connect to the plate?

2) What does the basket under the skim plate do since it looks like the skim plate would catch any debris?

Sorry for the dumb questions, But I'm still not getting how the skim plate works.
Thanks-
-stephen

I just did a little digging and I think I understand how the skim plate works now. I'm told the poolcleaner suction vac comes with a regulator valve to help you control suction to the vacuum and the skimmer. I'm hoping that with the included valve and a leaf canister I'm thinking of adding, this will basically reproduce what you've described.

Thanks-
-stephen

If you are going through the skimmer basket, you shouldn't really need the leaf canister. They serve the same purpose and probably hold about the same.

Thanks for everyone's tips! This forum is really excellent. After all the feedback, I've decided to go with the PoolCleaner suction and just add a an inline leaf canister. I will report back in a few weeks to let you know how it works out.

Just a quick note-
I don't post very often because 90% of the time I can find the answers by just searching through. The amount of collective knowledge that is contained in theses forums truly amazes me. Since I've been bugging so many people here over the past week, it's time I headed over to become a TFP supporter.

Thanks-
-stephen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.