She asked "what chlorine are you using" ....I said "huh?"
She asked "tablets, granules?"
I said "liquid......." (long pause)
She said "Where do you buy it from?"
I said "Walmart"
She said "You're NOT putting plain bleach in your pool?"
I said "are you going to test my water or not?"
She said "well it's your pool"

Ten minutes later, I had great results, a scornful look and the CYA I went in for...

Thanks guys - pool is looking fantastic and I'll get some pics up!

dannyboy....

Re: The pool store woman was ******....

frustratedpoolmom said:
Did you say back to her, as she handed you perfect results...

"TFP BABY!" :mrgreen: :party:

...and with your finger and your thumb in the shape of an "L" on your forehead.....the official TFP salute to snotty pool store employees. :roll: :whoot: Great story, dannyboy!!

Pisces said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Did you say back to her, as she handed you perfect results...

"TFP BABY!" :mrgreen: :party:

...and with your finger and your thumb in the shape of an "L" on your forehead.....the official TFP salute to snotty pool store employees. :roll: :whoot: Great story, dannyboy!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: ROTFLMAO! :mrgreen:

Hey guys i just left the pool store to purchase some shock and I asked the lady her thought on using bleach in my pool. of course she said that it would stain my liner and bleach it white or fade. I have not purchased bleach yet but is their a recomondation on how much to use in my pool inbetween shock treatments. Im new maybe their has been good toppic on this subject.

Thanks

You figure out what your target FC level is based on your current CYA leve, from the Chlorine/CYA chart, then you measure your current FC level, then you use my Pool Calculator to figure out how much bleach to add.

H-TOWN said:
Hey guys i just left the pool store to purchase some shock and I asked the lady her thought on using bleach in my pool. of course she said that it would stain my liner and bleach it white or fade. I have not purchased bleach yet but is their a recomondation on how much to use in my pool inbetween shock treatments. Im new maybe their has been good toppic on this subject.

Thanks

Did you purchase "shock"? If so, what kind? The liquid "Pool Shock" that many Pool Stealers sell is Sodium Hypochlorite - either 10 or 12.5% strength. Bleach is also Sodium Hypochlorite, but only 6% strength. So which is more likely to "stain" or "bleach" a liner? :mrgreen: Answer: Neither. TFP has over 7,000 members...if there were an adverse reaction to using bleach I think ONE would have reported it. :mrgreen:

FYI - "in between shock treatments" - A properly chlorinated and balanced pool would never require a routine shock treatment.

If you do go to the pool store to buy "shock" (BTW, Shock is something you do to your pool, not something you buy) understand what the granular/powder "shock" products they are selling are, and what possibly unwanted chems they add to your pool.

The brand is (chlor brite) from leslies pool supplie.
this is the info on the package
sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate 99%
(available chlorine 55%) 1lb bag

I have always used this product for shocking and everyday chlorination also a floater with 3" chlorine tabs . I am trying to figure out other options for every day chlorination.I usually use 4-5 bags a week to keep chlorine levels good.

That is Dichlor. Dichlor raises CYA and if used to much can result in an overstabilized pool. You are much better off shocking your pool with liquid chlorine/bleach, and using liquid chlorine/bleach for daily chlorination. As stated above, they are the same thing and add nothing unwanted to your pool. 3" inch tabs also add CYA to your pool, and they are acidic and can lower your PH...

Knowledge is key. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

H-Town, you need to measure your CYA, ASAP, to figure out where your FC needs to be. Given that you use dichlor and pucks (trichlor) consistently, CYA is probably way high, and you need to respond accordingly.
--paulr

I just came from the pool store, after having my water tested. I usually refrain from going there because I don't normally buy anything from them. I really only wanted my CYA level tested,as I was out of test solution for this. (which was 35) . My Free CL was 3.9, Total Cl was 3.9, and CC was 0.0. The pool lady said, "You haven't had your water tested since 2006". LOL. Told her I was testing at home with a kit. My PH level was a little high, 8.1....and she said you better address that quick, or it'll turn green on you ! Not so much.....LOL. I left after not buying the PH reducer she wanted to sell me.

Well, one good thing about using the 12.5% carboys from the pool store: now everyone thinks Im "normal" because Im using "pool store chlorine".

Funny, when I was using 6% bleach, people said the pool wasnt safe because of all the chlorine in the bleach (!!!)

Ignorance is bliss, I say.

New liner this year, fresh fill with city water, sourced from the Ohio river. Needed stabilizer, so I took a sample to local Leslie's. Nice woman tests sample and asks pool size and condition. Tells me "Chlorine is low, need to shock! Stabilizer=0 need to add 6 pounds! Hardness is too low need to add 60 pounds!" My home testing vs. her numbers:
Mine-
FC=1.0, CC=0, TC=1.0, Ph=7.5, T/A= 100, CH=120, CYA=0 (I didn't test it, should be 0)

Hers-
FC=0, CC=N/A, TC=0, Ph=7.5, T/A=100, CH=110, CYA=0 (her test confirmed it)
Her recommendations are right in line with Leslie's standards. I told her that I had "shock" at home, needed stabilizer, and with a vinyl liner the Hardness was fine. She responded that she was "a Certified Pool Operator" and that I would have problems with pitting and corrosion if I didn''t raise the CH. I just got the stabilizer, Thanked her for the info and left.

Now I'm wondering about the CH.

I found this info via Google "ohio river water test"-

Waters with high hardness values are referred to as "hard," while those with low hardness values are "soft". Because hardness varies greatly due to differences in geology, there aren’t general standards for hardness. The hardness of water can naturally range from zero to hundreds of milligrams per liter (or parts per million). Waters with a total hardness in the range of 0 to 60 mg/L are termed soft; from 60 to 120 mg/L moderately hard; from 120 to 180 mg/L hard; and above 180 mg/L very hard.

I've replaced domestic, gas-fired hot water heaters that have been half-filled with sediment(calcium?) after several years using this same water. The proliferation of homes in this area with water softeners for city water also leads me to think that we have moderately hard water coming from the Mighty Ohio. Is it not hard ENOUGH for my pool???

I've also added 740 pounds of salt and 88 pounds of borax, does that make it any HARDER??

Neither salt or borax will affect the hardness of the water. Both will make the water feel softer, without actually changing the hardness at all.

Low calcium levels are totally fine as long as you have a vinyl liner and don't have any plaster, pebble, quartz, natural stone, or grouted tile below the water line.

H-TOWN said:

Thanks
Let me give you a little piece of advice...The only thing that bleached my liner was a piece of a partially disolved trichlor puck that fell out of the floater when my sister in law was putting a new puck in while I was on vacation last year. My point is...I have used bleach for going on my second year and I have never bleached my liner...If you poor it in in front of the return with the pump running then it circulates the bleach before it has a chance to settle. Just becareful of your clothes when pooring bleach in...splatters will kill your favore Notre Dame Hoody! Learned the hard way...Pool guys all say the same thing...don't let em scare you!

H-TOWN said:

Thanks
Hey H-town, I live in Houston as well...in the west side..anyhow

After going thru this forum, now I know the most of the pool store is to help themselves in their cash register, not really help with their customers. I just moved into a house with pool (my first), the previous owner just left it to the "professional" guy to maintain his pool-$160/mo. First month, not knowing anything, I left the job to him so I can get settled. After reading thru this forum, oh my my. I stumbled to this site not even a week ago.

Since I don't have water test kit (just ordered on last night), I took water sample to 3 different places (this was before finding about TFP). CYA reading was all came 100. I am not sure how accurate, but at least they are consistant. And I am not sure if they can read CYA above 100. Anyhow, I think FC was like 2. All three places were like "here buy these 3" pucks...and 40# is the most bang for your bucks"...I bought one 40# from one place. Use 5 pucks total during 2 weeks, then found TFP, returned the sucker. Took water sample, still CYA registers at 100, FC at 5. I shocked the pool last Friday (just followed the pool store recommendation) because i've been fighting algea problem since day 1 (even with professional guy).

Now I know. I am on board with BBB plan. I have drained my pool last night about 30%...and in the process of filling it up. And will see how CYA will read after I put my pool thru Water Replacement Diet. Then, I plan on following the guidelines here.

So, moral of the story here is not all Professional pool folks and pool stores are not created equal, but with their pocket book as 1st priority.

I feel like I am a FOOL.

hey dooboo I leave on the east side of town in La Porte you know its easier to say Houston than the one of the 500 little cities around it.

Good luck on getting the pool clean so you can enjoy it.

H-TOWN said:
hey dooboo I leave on the east side of town in La Porte you know its easier to say Houston than the one of the 500 little cities around it.

Good luck on getting the pool clean so you can enjoy it.

H-Town I totally agree. When I moved to NY I told everyone I was from Houston. Moved back to Austin, I told everyone I was from "outside of Houston". I didn't have the patience to tell people I'm from Texas City but went to school in La Marque. When so few Austinites here the convo would have been..Where's that? Never mind, it's a small town with one horse, light and refinery flair!...LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.