The Physics of Freezing and Freeze Protection

I'm not confident that the plastic will keep the porch warm all the time, and I don't want to constantly be checking the temperature and stressing over it.
The plastic isn't meant to keep the equipment "warm" just less cold than the surrounding air so it takes longer to freeze. If you know about how long the temperature remains below 32F and you know how low it goes overnight, then you can predict with reasonable accuracy how long it takes for a pipe to freeze (see first post). If the time to freeze is much longer than the time below 32F, there is no issue. But when you get to freezing temps > 12hrs, you probably should drain the equipment.

My question is this: if it turns out I do need another heat source to keep the equipment from freezing, what might I use?
A simple incandescent light bulb should provide enough energy to keep air temps above 32F in the vicinity of the equipment as long as the wind is minimized and there is a tarp over the area with mostly closed sides.

Before turning off the pump's freeze protection, you can check the effectiveness of the setup by seeing if a small water bottle freezes solid overnight in the same area as the equipment. Once you get comfortable with the effectiveness, you can then decide to shut off the pump. However, you may need to repeat this periodically as temperatures drop and duration's increase.

But you also need to check your frost line to make sure the underground plumbing has no chance of freezing.

Reactions: Forest_Spa
A few questions, Mark: I downloaded your "Pool Heat Transfer Tools" spreadsheet. Let's say I input my parameters on the Pipe Freeze worksheet, and it gives a "Total Freeze Time" of 24 hours; if my Pentair VS pump's Anti-Freeze mode comes on and runs periodically during the night, does that "reset" the Total Freeze Time back to 24 hrs each time (I presume that it does)? On the other hand, the "Start air temperature" would be progressively lower. Also, the tarp I have over my equipment and 1.5" pipes coming out/going into the ground is not big enough to come down over one side of the sand filter (i.e., that 1 of 4 sides is still open to the outside air, but not to the sky itself), do I use 0% or 25% for the value in the "Percent area of pipe exposed to sky" cell? Lastly, are macros used on this particular worksheet? Thanks.

If there is a total freeze time of 24 hrs, the air temperature would need to stay below 32F continuously for 24 hrs before the pipe freezes solid. If that does not happen, then the water will never freeze solid so you really don't need to worry about freeze protection. The point of the spreadsheet is to determine if you really need freeze protection at all. If you are going to use freeze protection anyway, there is really no need to use the spreadsheet.

As for the tarp, it is the exposure to the open sky that determines the setting to use. So if there is no plumbing directly exposed to the open sky, then set that value to 0%. It doesn't matter if the tarp is fully closed on the sides or not. The thing that matters is if the plumbing can directly "see" the sky. That is where the radiation heat loss makes a difference.

Recently, there have been a lot of questions from those living in moderate climates about using automatic freeze protection or running pumps to prevent freezing and what a pool owner should do when temperatures drop so I thought it might be useful to have a thread which dealt with the issue from both a practical and theoretical point of view.

But first a few thoughts about using pumps to prevent freezing. Running the pumps is not fool proof and power outages can obviously be a problem. Also, some pools have a lot of features and some are manually controlled so automatic freeze protection may not always be a viable solution. Plus electricity is expensive in many areas so having the pumps run all night is not always an attractive option. Given all these factors, I am not a big fan of using the pumps to prevent freezing, but there are alternatives for those that are interested.

Also, I wondered how long it would actually take for a pipe to freeze so I did some research into the physics of freezing pipes. Over the years, there have been several empirical university studies and the consensus is that for home plumbing in un-insulated spaces (e.g. attics), the "alert" temperature where pipe freezing and bursting can become a problem is below 20F. Above that temperature, freezing rarely occurs and bursting of the pipe is even rarer. But this is for small copper pipe in attics, not pool equipment so I had to look deeper.

The time it takes a pipe to freeze is dependent on several factors:

Size and dimensions of the pipe: More water in the pipe takes longer to freeze.
Pipe thermal conductivity: Copper is about 2000x more thermally conductive than is PVC.

But then there are also environmental conditions:

Air Temperature: The lower the air temperature is below freezing the faster freezing will occur.
Night Sky Exposure: Radiation losses can have a large impact on the heat loss.
Wind Speed: Wind blowing over the pipe greatly increases the heat loss of the pipe.

But a freezing pipe does not always result a bursting pipe. In fact, it rarely does. When a pipe freezes it freezes from the outside inwards and as the ice expands, the excess pressure is relieved through the center of the pipe until the pipe freezes solid. This alone will not burst the pipe. However, once the pipe is fully frozen and blocks the relief of pressure, the freezing ice up stream of that section of pipe may not have a path to relieve the pressure and only then does the pipe burst. This process is fairly well described in the following sources:

http://www.spokanecounty.org/data/buildingandplanning/disaster/DIS-FreezeBurstPipe.pdf
http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/PMG/Documents/DIS-FreezeBurstPipe.pdf
http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/radio/pipefrez.html

So in order to take all these factors into account, I used standard thermal transfer equations to estimate the heat loss of a pipe when exposed to all these environmental conditions. I then ran a few experiments in my freezer to make sure the model was giving fairly accurate results, which it did.

So here are a few examples:

View attachment 169895

These results assume a minimum night time temperature of 20F, starting at 32F and the time to freeze only includes the time below 32F. So the average temperature is 26F over that time frame. There is some inherent margin included in these numbers because I assumed the water temperature started out at 32F which in most cases it is higher and it ignores the latent heat within the filter water which can act like a heat source for the rest of the plumbing.

Wind has a fairly large affect but visibility to the night sky has an even larger effect. Covering the exposed equipment can reduce the heat loss considerably from both of these factors and freeze times are much much longer. So the easiest thing a pool owner can do is cover the pad equipment and plumbing with a tarp. Adding a heat source underneath the tarp or cover would add enough margin to eliminate the need for running the pump or at least provide enough backup should the automated freeze protection fail.

The heat transfer model is available here for those who are adventurous:

Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head?

So if you would like to be able to go without automated freeze protection OR you would just like to have an extra layer of protection, then you can follow some of the suggestions listed below. The temperature ranges and time are using the thermal loss spreadsheet above which are fairly conservative freeze estimates (i.e. assumes 15 mph winds, full sky exposure with maximum radiation losses and ignores latent heat in filters and surrounding structures).

1. Air Temp 32F->25F->32F for <10 hours. Plumbing 1" and above is safe. Tarp or drain for smaller pipes.

2. Air Temp 32F->20F->32F for <10 hours. Plumbing 1.5" and above is safe. Tarp or drain for smaller pipes.

3. Air Temp 32F->15F->32F for <10 hours. Plumbing 2" and above is safe. Tarp or drain for smaller pipes.

4. Air Temp 32F->10F->32F for <10 hours. Plumbing 2.5" and above is safe. Tarp or drain for smaller pipes.

5. Air Temp 32F->0F->32F for <10 hours. Tarp equipment and use an incandescent light bulb underneath OR use heat tape available at your local hardware store.

6. Air Temp <0F. Drain all equipment and plumbing.

Note that when air temps get close to 0F, water temps are likely to be below 40F so there is no harm in draining the equipment and letting the pool go idle since algae is fairly rare at those water temperatures. Also, opening all valves so that all ports have pressure relief to the pool will virtually eliminate any chance of the pipes bursting.

But just so you know, I do practice what I preach. My situation is #3 above and I have not bothered to use automated freeze protection for 8 winters now without incident. But I do not have any plumbing less than 2".
I made an account just to thank you for this. As a relatively recent pool owner and an engineer, I have deep appreciation for the theory + empirical data + simple practical advice. Thank you!

This is a GREAT thread. @mas985 .

I think this is a repeat of an earlier question but it wasn't answered. If for example, based on a given pipe size and temperature (I have only 2" and 3" pipes for my 6 pumps), does the "clock" (so to speak) reset if you run those pumps? Meaning, let's say it takes 8 hours for a given pipe to freeze overnight when the temps drop from like 12am to 8am, if i turn that pump on a schedule to run for 15 minutes halfway through the night, say at 4am-4:15am, will that reset the 8 hour freeze time back to 0? (I'm pretty sure that wasn't answered so I'm double checking)

A few questions, Mark: I downloaded your "Pool Heat Transfer Tools" spreadsheet. Let's say I input my parameters on the Pipe Freeze worksheet, and it gives a "Total Freeze Time" of 24 hours; if my Pentair VS pump's Anti-Freeze mode comes on and runs periodically during the night, does that "reset" the Total Freeze Time back to 24 hrs each time (I presume that it does)? On the other hand, the "Start air temperature" would be progressively lower. Also, the tarp I have over my equipment and 1.5" pipes coming out/going into the ground is not big enough to come down over one side of the sand filter (i.e., that 1 of 4 sides is still open to the outside air, but not to the sky itself), do I use 0% or 25% for the value in the "Percent area of pipe exposed to sky" cell? Lastly, are macros used on this particular worksheet? Thanks.

Where is this Pool Heat Transfer Tools spreadsheet and Pipe Freeze worksheet located? I don't see a link in this thread?

@mas985

This is a GREAT thread. @mas985 .

I think this is a repeat of an earlier question but it wasn't answered. If for example, based on a given pipe size and temperature (I have only 2" and 3" pipes for my 6 pumps), does the "clock" (so to speak) reset if you run those pumps? Meaning, let's say it takes 8 hours for a given pipe to freeze overnight when the temps drop from like 12am to 8am, if i turn that pump on a schedule to run for 15 minutes halfway through the night, say at 4am-4:15am, will that reset the 8 hour freeze time back to 0? (I'm pretty sure that wasn't answered so I'm double checking)
More or less. Running the pump just raise the pipe water temp to that of the pool water what ever that may be. So it may not completely reset the clock as pool water temp also drops during the night.

But anything over 8 hrs of sub freezing, I would drain the pad equipment. It is much safer than running the pump.

Spreadsheets are in my signature.

More or less. Running the pump just raise the pipe water temp to that of the pool water what ever that may be. So it may not completely reset the clock as pool water temp also drops during the night.

But anything over 8 hrs of sub freezing, I would drain the pad equipment. It is much safer than running the pump.

Spreadsheets are in my signature.

Pardon my ignorance , but trying to understand....
You mention 8 hours but based on this table below, if the temps are mid 20s or so and the pipe size is 2.5" or greater (covered), shouldn't my pipes be okay for almost 50 hours at that temp according to your spreadsheet? Wondering why you now say anything over 8 hours it should be drained. Did you have a change of opinion since that table was posted or am I just not understanding something or interpreting things correctly? Really learning a lot from your posts so just trying to educate myself more.

1665801719282.png

Last edited:
That table is for a very specific scenario. More of a corner case to show the most optimistic conditions. Context here is very important. Those conditions rely on a start temp of 32 F, a minimum temp of 20F, an average temp for 26F and ZERO wind speed which is very improbable. ANY deviation from those conditions, invalidates those results.

Also, you mentioned you have 2" plumbing as well as 2.5" so the smallest diameter should be used as that will freeze first.

One problem is that weather forecast error increases with time in the future so you can't really assume the actual weather will exactly match forecasts. For this reason, a more conservative approach is advised when temps remain below zero for more than 8 hrs as longer forecasts will have much more uncertainty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Context here is very important. Those conditions rely on a start temp of 32 F, a minimum temp of 20F, an average temp for 26F and ZERO wind speed which is very improbable. ANY deviation from those conditions, invalidates those results.
Like the great TX freeze. We had folks running their pools for days into 20 degree weather. The ground was long frozen, the water was well below freezing and the above ground pipes were getting blasted with wind.

When the power went out, things froze in literal minutes. The 'zero mark' was the first day it got cold, a week or more prior, not once the pumps shut off. The conditions the plumbing was experiencing when the power went out was far different than that first day it got cold.

Like the great TX freeze. We had folks running their pools for days into 20 degree weather. The ground was long frozen, the water was well below freezing and the above ground pipes were getting blasted with wind.

When the power went out, things froze in literal minutes. The 'zero mark' was the first day it got cold, a week or more prior, not once the pumps shut off. The conditions the plumbing was experiencing when the power went out was far different than that first day it got cold.
And that is a perfect example of why a pool owner should not rely on running a pump to prevent freezing. Electricity may not be there when you need it most.

@jesse-99 , are you considering leaving the pool open for the winter? Could be very risky depending on your location.

Reactions: Newdude
And that is a perfect example of why a pool owner should not rely on running a pump to prevent freezing. Electricity may not be there when you need it most.

@jesse-99 , are you considering leaving the pool open for the winter? Could be very risky depending on your location.

@mas985
No, not considering leaving it open through the winter. Just trying to make sure I can get by in the next 2-3 weeks. We have temps at night going into the mid-high 20 degrees (24-29) right now (though sometimes just low-mid 30 degrees), before the temps warm back up into 40-60 degrees during the day. I'm just trying to understand my risk potential since my pool is still open for another 2-3 weeks or so. . It sounds like my risk, based on your charts, is very minimal. I also have the following 3 advantages in my favor right now. #1. I have a tarp I can cover the equipment to shield it from the night radiation, and #2. My entire pool equipment pad is enclosed/walled-in (outside) so winds against the piping/equipment are very minimal, and #3. My pool water temp is still 50+ degrees at the moment. So I think if we get some nights in the low 20s or so over the next 2 or 3 weeks, I should be more than fine, based on your table/chart?

To clarify one thing, I have some 3" piping, and some 2" (or maybe it's 2.5" -- I'm going to measure it today.). Nothing smaller than that.

I also have the following 3 advantages in my favor right now. #1. I have a tarp I can cover the equipment to shield it from the night radiation, and #2. My entire pool equipment pad is enclosed/walled-in (outside) so winds against the piping/equipment are very minimal, and #3. My pool water temp is still 50+ degrees at the moment.
I would agree that risk is minimal under those conditions. Extra insurance would be to leave on an incandescent bulb on the inside of the equipment area.

Reactions: Newdude
How long does it take to unscrew the plugs in your pump(s) and filter? It takes me just a few minutes and then a few hours for my sand filter to drain completely. If you are not yet closing for the winter and are worried about a cold snap with temps only below freezing for 5-8 hours overnight, it's easy to just drain the water from your equipment. The ground will still be warm enough to not have to worry about blowing out your lines.

Reactions: mas985
As someone who lives in the Northern US, freezing temperatures and freeze protection are serious business. Exposed, uninsulated pipe in any type of freezing conditions is asking for problems even in the lightest freeze. There is always wind which can greatly accelerate pipe freezing even in barely sub-freezing temperatures.

I shook my head in disbelief at the great Texas freeze and how freeze protection was ignored by so many people in so many industries. If the weather ever reaches freezing the potential for catastrophic freezing is there. If it is colder/windier, it just happens faster.

Insulation, water flow, wind protection, and mass are all helpful, but only buy time. Other options include injecting air (bubbles) from the bottom of the pool and prevention of evaporation cooling at the water's surface. A rapid emergency plan for draining the most susceptible plumbing needs to be in place in case power/heat fail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.