The latest issue with the nightmare build in AZ, pool lights

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So we have gotten through a lot of issues,like seriously having to re-do almost everything 2-3x. So clean up crew comes to get the pool ready, pre plaster clean up. They pull the protective covers off the lights that have been covered in shotcrete and I notice one light is tilted up 15-20 degrees off the pool wall and the other light is tilted down about 5 Degree. Are you kidding me🙄. How do you not check for this during shotcrete?

I text pics to the PB, they said oh must have shifted during shotcrete, we will need to demo around them and do a repair to the shell. Concern is the two lights point at the columns on the opposing wall, concerned that the center of the light beams will be hitting different spots and look uneven as they are tilting at different angles.

I don’t even have the words anymore,this is beyond a bad joke. So my question, is hydraulic cement gonna work on a small repair like this? I can’t see a shotcrete rig pulling up for this. My guess is they will need to do some small demo around each light, brace them in place and then pack with cement. Issues or concerns I should bring up? It’s much more noticeable in person.

just another thing for others to watch for, I can’t believe the clowns on this job. So far they have fired a sup and 1 crew for the other problems. We just want to get this done and CA POOLs and Landscaping out of our life. To think they had such good reviews but their subs have literally screwed up every single phase of this project. Too much to write, if you want an honest opinion PM me, I’m over being nice.

Attachments

• IMG_5515.jpeg
    IMG_5515.jpeg
    739.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5514.jpeg
    IMG_5514.jpeg
    672.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5516.jpeg
    IMG_5516.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
So we have gotten through a lot of issues,like seriously having to re-do almost everything 2-3x. So clean up crew comes to get the pool ready, pre plaster clean up. They pull the protective covers off the lights that have been covered in shotcrete and I notice one light is tilted up 15-20 degrees off the pool wall and the other light is tilted down about 5 Degree. Are you kidding me🙄. How do you not check for this during shotcrete?

I text pics to the PB, they said oh must have shifted during shotcrete, we will need to demo around them and do a repair to the shell. Concern is the two lights point at the columns on the opposing wall, concerned that the center of the light beams will be hitting different spots and look uneven as they are tilting at different angles.

I don’t even have the words anymore,this is beyond a bad joke. So my question, is hydraulic cement gonna work on a small repair like this? I can’t see a shotcrete rig pulling up for this. My guess is they will need to do some small demo around each light, brace them in place and then pack with cement. Issues or concerns I should bring up? It’s much more noticeable in person.

just another thing for others to watch for, I can’t believe the clowns on this job. So far they have fired a sup and 1 crew for the other problems. We just want to get this done and CA POOLs and Landscaping out of our life. To think they had such good reviews but their subs have literally screwed up every single phase of this project. Too much to write, if you want an honest opinion PM me, I’m over being nice.
Hydraulic cement is common for that kind of change. It doesn’t look bad in the photos though.

It’s the floor in front of the lights that will show the most difference in the angle of the light direction.
If the floor is not the same distance, the light will deflection will shown that.
On the surface above the light it’s not as visible.
Still you want the lights set flush so the plaster surrounding it is uniform.
A hydraulic cement is commonly used for type of application.
A concern of not damaging the light during this process is real.IMG_5375.pngIMG_5373.png

Thanks, yes the floor depth is different at each light but the other issue is these aren’t even installed flush, there is only 3/8-1/2” of plaster going on the walls, look at the gaps around the lights the plaster is going to look terrible around them. In all my time on this forum I have never seen this issue before. I still can’t believe they don’t check for this and ensure there is not problem.

see the attached photo. I don‘t believe they can put 1” of plaster on the bottom of that light to cover the flange, it will have to be ramped up from the floor and then will look crooked on the wall. I believe the fixture is to sit flush with the wall and that flange between the back of the light to the front is what’s covered with plaster.IMG_5508.jpeg

Thanks, yes the floor depth is different at each light but the other issue is these aren’t even installed flush, there is only 3/8-1/2” of plaster going on the walls, look at the gaps around the lights the plaster is going to look terrible around them. In all my time on this forum I have never seen this issue before. I still can’t believe they don’t check for this and ensure there is not problem.

see the attached photo. I don‘t believe they can put 1” of plaster on the bottom of that light to cover the flange, it will have to be ramped up from the floor and then will look crooked on the wall. I believe the fixture is to sit flush with the wall and that flange between the back of the light to the front is what’s covered with plaster.View attachment 558235
They frequently add extra plaster around lights and fittings. I wouldn’t believe for a second that the plaster is actually restricted to be 3/8” to 1/2” thick in the real world (even though that’s the nominal advised thickness) so I’d advise having realistic expectations on that. When I chipped mine out there were plaster areas over 1” thick, usually around transitions.

Who know what was done correctly or not, they should have been better braced at the steel phase if the weight of the shotcrete could cause them to shift. I also noticed the square LED element is crooked inside, tilted to the right.

I know this may seem like a small issue but at this point with all that’s gone wrong I am fried. Yeah I don’t want more problems, I’m hoping this can be a simple fix.

Well, I still think the lights should be flush, I don’t believe the are designed to be put in crooked pointing in different directions. It’s just sloppy workmanship
This is really ridiculous. I've been involved in dozens of new pool builds and I've never seen this issue before. The light can is supposed to be tightly connected to the rebar grid and having the conduit also makes it secure. Have these construction guys ever heard of a tool called a level?

Reactions: Titan7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes it’s ridiculous how crappy workmanship is today.

here are some other photos with the white trim on them to help illustrate the issue. I agree Its not going to really affect function but it just looks bad. They are gonna hopefully start on the repair tomorrow. They have to send the shotcreate sub back out anyways to coat the area where we got all the shrinkage cracks on the wall. The Pool Builder calls this project the cursed pool.

Attachments

• IMG_5524.jpeg
    IMG_5524.jpeg
    540.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5525.jpeg
    IMG_5525.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5526.jpeg
    IMG_5526.jpeg
    537.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5527.jpeg
    IMG_5527.jpeg
    561.2 KB · Views: 24
I feel your pain. With my build - the electrician tried to install a circuit breaker with a date code of 2008 in my main panel. It looked like it had been in the bottom of a bucket filled with mud since 2008. He actually did install it - and I found it on my inspection of his work.

Also - my build had two lights in it - old school Hayward incandescent units. The same electrician installed them both - it wasn't until they left and I went to do my own inspection - one was stainless trim - the other was white trim. Any person with any sense of pride - should have asked/verified - do you really want two different trim lights in one pool?

A different electrician came out to correct both issues.

Shaking head...

-Tom

So the demo was completed. So whats the correct way to repair? Can this be done correctly with handpacked concrete with a bonding coat on the hole before filling or is shotcrete under pressure the correct fix? Still can’t believe the incompetence. also notice the larger hole, I left to go inside for a minute and told them keep the hole as small as possible and of course I walk out and the guy has the jackhammer bit going from inside out and broke away the top section. So done.

Attachments

• IMG_5535.jpeg
    IMG_5535.jpeg
    749.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5536.jpeg
    IMG_5536.jpeg
    673.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5539.jpeg
    IMG_5539.jpeg
    805.3 KB · Views: 28
The other light, notice the smaller hole around as I was in the pool directing traffic🙄

They can pack the hole with hydraulic cement. It is not structural requiring shotcrete...

full

non shrink hydraulic cement ...

Is "non shrink" and "hydraulic" cement redundant?

I though the specification of "hydraulic cement" was that it expands as it cures.

Is there hydraulic cement that shrinks? Wouldn't that be regular cement?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support