The ever evolving life of my AGP

Hey, we all start somewhere! And you’ve enjoyed the heck out of that pool, right?

• Haha
Reactions: kne
Hey, we all start somewhere! And you’ve enjoyed the heck out of that pool, right?
Yes, I love my little ABG pool. 7 years with one now, I will never go back to being someone without a pool. I just love your liner more, than I love mine, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: kellyfair
Yes, I love my little ABG pool. 7 years with one now, I will never go back to being someone without a pool. I just love your liner more, than I love mine, lol.
Actually @kellyfair I was going to ask you. I decided on the boulder swirl originally because the Intex lines just made it glaringly obvious (to me) that the pool wasn't perfectly even with it just being the squares and I knew there were 2 squares above the waterline here and only 1 over there. The rocks on the current liner definitely camouflages any level imperfections. My pool is maybe 1/2" off all the way around. Is the Portfino design more forgiving than the standard Intex?

Actually @kellyfair I was going to ask you. I decided on the boulder swirl originally because the Intex lines just made it glaringly obvious (to me) that the pool wasn't perfectly even with it just being the squares and I knew there were 2 squares above the waterline here and only 1 over there. The rocks on the current liner definitely camouflages any level imperfections. My pool is maybe 1/2" off all the way around. Is the Portfino design more forgiving than the standard Intex?
I think it is. The mosaic pattern is much smaller, plus there’s a swirly border. You would have to be specifically looking for such a small amount off level.

never posted pictures of setting up the pool a few years ago. I didn't really take any good ones
I’m scared of taking pics/vids. I always worry about either upsetting the universe making the project go south in a heartbeat, or it turns into a ‘hold my beer’ epic failure vid on YouTube. Cuz you KNOW whoever filmed it is gonna post it. :ROFLMAO:

so all my projects get early pics, a big void and then pics towards the end once there is less to go wrong.

Reactions: B.lu
I’m scared of taking pics/vids. I always worry about either upsetting the universe making the project go south in a heartbeat, or it turns into a ‘hold my beer’ epic failure vid on YouTube. Cuz you KNOW whoever filmed it is gonna post it. :ROFLMAO:

so all my projects get early pics, a big void and then pics towards the end once there is less to go wrong.
Excuse me?? Mr. “Build-Thread! Build-Thread!”

• Haha
Reactions: kne and newdude
Weather is getting nicer so that means it's time for pool projects 2022. This years project is moving the equipment away from being right against the wall of the pool. Documenting here because I'm always open to advice

Going to put in a resin storage type container about 5-10 feel away from where the equipment was. I have @chi-chi & @chandra5103 's builds saved to use as a blueprint. @JeaniB - I know you have done the same, and I found some of your pictures where your SWG was acting up :) if you have any other picture of all the plumbing, can you please direct me?

Closing down last year I pulled pump, SWG cell, filter. We also had some Intex solar panels that we got for free and were meh at best, so those are gone.

What I can think of so far of what needs to be done (not in any order):
Limitations to work around - space. Between pool & fence there is not very much of it. Current Deck Box location is where new shed will go. Need (want) to keep current deck box, but I am still thinking maybe if I can make a taller shed maybe work to combine the 2, but would need to add a shelf & a way to contain the hoses. Right now I just shove them in the deck box and it works perfect. I have not thought of a way around that. Yet. I can't simply scoot the current box over right next to new shed because there wouldn't be room to walk through unless I got rid of the solar cover holder. Box would go basically up to the river rocks & I'm trying to keep that small space clutter free. I can maybe move the compost tumbler though (black thing in corner of picture) and move the deck box there.

More to come.

old set up.jpgnew location.jpgother view.jpg

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey Sis !! I've had several rubbemaid boxes/sheds and a lifetime one. All warped considerably in no time. They remained functional but were a constant PITA to bend/move (ok ok ok *kick*) so that they closed properly. Then they were closed but in no way sealed. Your big shed seems to be doing much better than mine (the exact one) but i can see some warp on the roof panels.

Seeing how your thoughts are about the nicer weather and mine are about the weekend bomb cyclone thats coming, i imagine your UV is a bit stronger than mine. On one hand, you disassemble everything each fall. So if the box imploded on year 3, oh well get a new box and configure it in spring 4. But if it happened mid season you'd be removing the whole system to replace the box. Yeah, yeah, unions make it easier. But you know darn well it will be a busy week when it happens and the time to do it will be scarce.

Any chance of building a more permanant lean to (sided with lattice), or even a small DIY wooden shed ? Lumber prices have fallen back to reasonable and the $300 temporary shed gives you a great budget.

*also. Both those boxes are 2 ft deep on the outside. The walls make the inside 1 ft 9 inches or so if the equpment fits double check your plumbing layout before buying. One 90 degree elbow could push you 'outside the box'

I just checked and t-111 siding is $38 for a 4x8 sheet. You would need 2 as is or could go to 3 and increase the size for just a little working room. 2x4s were back in the $4 range and negligible. One package of shingles is $50 to $60 and you'd have over $100 left for screws / hinges / hardware/ paint for a much nicer and permanant enclosure.

You dont need to be a master carpenter. Nobody will ever know that its 4 degrees off from level/plumb/square.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
*also also....... remebered the stairs / deck that you built. You TOTALLY got this if you want.

Or if you prefer the deck box route for style or removability, plan the layout to the inch or find a larger box.

Hi @Newdude ! We were down to the 50's in December, but creeping back into the 60's for the next few months. Still "cold" but pleasant to be outside during the day.

I have thought about a wooden shed, but I need all building focus to be on a bathroom remodel this spring, so resin it will be. You are absolutely correct though, about the UV. And where the pool equipment is going is the harshest sun place in the yard. The current shed you see is actually protected, so the new one will take a beating. I'm ok with it only lasting a few years. My fickleness, I'll probably want something different in a couple years anyway ;)

Reactions: newdude
We had a couple of high 80 deg days last week. After a couple of snarky "it would be nice to be in the pool" comments, I figured it was time to start dealing with getting it up and running. I ended up with a $349 shed from Lowe's. It's actually $379, but the display was mis-marked and Lowe's honored it. I went a little bigger than planned, but will put a shelf in and hopefully be able to move everything from the deck box into the new shed.

I'm still wavering on the decision for a liner. I have one in my cart at poolstore.com I just need a nudge.. been searching for a discount or promo code, free shipping something to click submit. My plan is to get the plumbing done the weekend of the 23rd, but the liner doesn't have to happen the same weekend.20220410_141327.jpg20220410_154629.jpg

Who designs middle of the aisle display at Lowe's especially with bulky sheds !? This was almost like a row of motorcycles getting knocked down in a movie, luckily it stopped at 2.20220410_130017.jpg

That's the wheelbarrow I bought after moving. Thanks to the extra careful Lowes employees, the 'good' one was already plenty dinged and scratched and ready for use.

• Haha
Did I take the plunge and buy the liner? Yes
Did I get a call right after verifying that I really wanted the liner because they are made per order and it would take 10-12 weeks? Also, yes.
I wondered why they were really the only ones who had liners available to order besides the basic boulder swirl overlap. Makes sense now. Looking like it will be a fun July project. Portofino liner, here I come! Or actually, here it comes!

Today I spent my lunch break digging out a bigger area for the shed, moving rocks from around the pool and digging trenches for the new pipes. So that will still happen next weekend. Also, I peaked under the winter cover and the water is still clear 😎.

I also bought a new skimmer, I know you should always buy new gaskets when replacing the liner or anything like that, but if only in use for a couple of months, will be ok to reuse the gasket on the new liner?

Does anyone use a digital pool thermometer that has the wireless display? Like this?

but if only in used for a couple of months, will be ok to reuse the gasket on the new liner?
It's most likely ok, but for $10- $14 on the most leak stopping part of your pool, do you even care ? (Pro tip: you do not 😁).

Lift the old gasket in the air with both hands as an offering to the pool gods. If they pass on taking it, the garbage truck is a close 2nd.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and kne

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.