The Digging Begins!

The guys showed up around 8 am to start getting the floor ready for the Vermiculite but the guy who was to get the mixer didn't show up until 11 am :whip:
They worked in the dangerous heat until 1:30 and decided to knock off until later. Vermiculite is to the slope, but it looks like it's not high enough in my opinion.
They asked me if I thought my neighbors would be upset if they came early in the morning around 7 to start. I told them since most of my neighbors get up around 6, it should not pose a problem.

Here are some pictures from this morning....temps were around 102° with the heat index at 123°!

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

Congrats on the floor being started!

I can certainly understand/ sympathize with them knocking off in that heat! (I retroweled the sand on a 24' round AG today, by myself with a heat index of 106* - fortunately, I brought a 6 pack of beer and a bunch of cold water)

As to the depth of the vermiculite, the norm is to have 2". I assume your panels are 42", this gives you 40" of panel - resulting in a water depth of ~ 3.5'.

WHAT is going on with the (looking from the shallow end) left side of the steps??? ASK THEM!!! They are a couple inches into the pool from the panel (your liner is gonna be F*&^%$ed :!: ) This is a BIG problem!!! Maybe they put a filler in there, but I've always installed those steps to be plumb with the wall.

Ted, I will ask them in the morning. They did have a plumb line running across the front.

Yes, the walls are 42". I appreciate your comments as I am new to this. I have seen installation videos and I understand there are many ways to install a pool. I just want it to be the right way. ;)

Pictures from early this morning before the heat got worse;

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

They ran out of portland cement and needed more vermiculite to finish the job. Being that it's Sunday, the warehouse was closed, so they will pick it up tomorrow and finish the floor. They are making the vermiculite 3"....in a way I am upset since it is coming out of my pocket to pay for their dig mistake.

Malibu07 said:
Ted, I will ask them in the morning. They did have a plumb line running across the front.

Yes, the walls are 42". I appreciate your comments as I am new to this. I have seen installation videos and I understand there are many ways to install a pool. I just want it to be the right way. ;)

Ted, by looking at these two pictures, does the steps still look off to you? It looks flush to me;

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

I wonder if any pool builders wear shirts? Seems like most of the pictures posted on this site are a bunch of shirtless chubby guys. They must have a pretty high skin cancer rate.

Oh by the way, the pool is looking good!

Looking good.

I can understand where you are coming from on the heat. Sat here in VA was 104 and yesterday was 108 -- these are real temps mind you not heat index. I didn't even want to know the heat index.

Kids were in the pool all day on Sat - I popped in for a bit and it was bath water, not fun but better then being in the heat.

Worst part about weather this hot is the AC runs all day long and still struggles to keep cool because it so darn hot.

Greg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Edit I just found out that they are now making Transition lens that will work inside a car. I got mine before those came out. $800. The puppies ate them last summer. :cry: :grrrr: :hammer:

Sure wish those guys would wear hats. Besides the skin cancer factor hats would keep them cooler especially if they kept them damp. And sweat bands. And, all that bright UV exposure, over time, is certainly not good for eyes.

I'm used to being in the sizzling heat working outside. I do follow the shade as much as possible. I couldn't do it without hat, sweat band, adjustalens glasses (adjust to light intensity and do work in automobile unlike Transitions), with bifocals (precursor to Transition lens - I like the adjustalens better) and Sharper Image battery operated neck cooler. (The "personal coolers", not being sold any more except on eBay, few and far between, really don't start being beneficial until it's about 95 F. They really work. But they got bad reviews because people were using them at lower air temps with far less noticeable results.)

gg=alice

GCS said:
Looking good.

I can understand where you are coming from on the heat. Sat here in VA was 104 and yesterday was 108 -- these are real temps mind you not heat index. I didn't even want to know the heat index.

Kids were in the pool all day on Sat - I popped in for a bit and it was bath water, not fun but better then being in the heat.

Worst part about weather this hot is the AC runs all day long and still struggles to keep cool because it so darn hot.

Greg

I'm in VA too, so I know how miserable it was this past week. Heat index was around 116° with the highest at 123°.
Today it is much cooler with temps in the upper 80s! Might have to break out the sweatshirt! :lol:

They finished the floor this morning and will be coming back tomorrow to do the coping and liner.

Adding the foam pad;

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

Slipping on the liner;

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

Before they left, they hooked up a pool vac and started putting water in. I turned the water off about two hours ago. It still needs about a foot or two more of water to get to the line where they can put on the face plates. I'll turn it back on in the morning so we can watch the level.

Wow - they completed your pool at a nice pace. Our dig started in early June and our liner didn't go in until early July. Then, we had to wait two weeks to let the backfill settle before we could have the concrete poured. It's been a REALLY long summer, but our concrete was sealed yesterday and the patio furniture is finally coming out of storage tonight. Hopefully your pool will continue at a nice pace so you can start enjoying it. Have fun - and best of luck!

Thanks 1zuggy, it's getting there. They are working on the plumbing and face plates now. My friend works for an irrigation company so she was able to get a good price (cheaper than the pool guys) for scheduled 40 pipe. Any where I can save a buck, I'm all ears! :)

Yesterday they laid some SCH 40 pipes. I bought eighteen 20 foot sticks as well as fifty 90s. I hope that will be enough. My kit didn't have step jets, but they put two in there for me. He used some type of adhesive that he said when water hits it, it bonds like cement. Before he left last night, he wanted to take a look at the SWG I got. He was surprised that I got a Aquarite with the digital read out. He said that is what he uses and it is the top of the line. Glad to know he is very familiar with it.
Hopefully all the pumps will be hooked up and tested today. I'll get some pictures up later.

Only thing holding us up now is for a missing face plate. I called the company last week and told them that I was missing a face plate and she said the order would go out the next day. I'd like to know where did they send it.....Bangladesh?
In the mean time they are looking into the city codes for bonding.

Glad to see the progress! :party: :whoot:

Bonding the polymer walls will be tough, since they aren't conductive :p The aluminum coping will have to be bonded as well as any metal handrails or ladders and the reinforcing steel in the concrete deck.

4 bonding lugs and a few loops or tails should do the job :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.