the clorine geni

Looks cool and looking forward to a user review here on TFP. In the meantime, what's the watts and hours to make, say, 1.0 lb of FC (expressed as Cl2 equiv)? This sounds quite handy if someone plans for it.

I went through the company website, and it looks fairly amateurish to me. The device appears to be a good one, but I think Mr. Tucker needs to license the technology to other companies like Pentair and Hayward, who could effectively market it and probably reduce the unit cost.

It’s basically just the membrane cell chlor-alkali process that’s tied into a standard water softener (RO filter) system. The SWG cell sits in the brine tank and generates chlorine gas separate from the other side of the cell. Sodium hydroxide and hydrogen gas are produced on the other side with an acid tank used to neutralize the high pH. The hydrogen gas is simply vented. The sodium hydroxide can be partially neutralized or partially injected back into the water stream to help control pH.

It’s really nothing special n terms of chlorine generation. The only problem I see is that the Chlorine Genie is a much more complicated apparatus with parts that are going to need routine maintenance (like the RO filter, acid tank, internal pumps, etc). So I suspect the lifetime total cost of ownership could be much higher than simply swapping out an new SWG cell in a standard SWG pool.

This is a blast from the distant past for me. My dad was a chemical engineer, and we lived overseas when I was a little kid, in a hot country where residential pools were rare as hen's teeth. He had a mate who was a right and proper British aristocrat, High Commissioner or somethingorother. When we would visit, they sometimes worked on a tank that was going to keep his swimming pool clean. They were mucking around with wires and water and salt and I remember my mother laughing and saying they're both mad to be doing that. I loved the pool, but it all made zero sense to me and I went back to playing with the dog, because we weren't allowed to swim while they were experimenting, haha.

Geez, yeh, never thought of that. He loved ancient history so he might have been doing something Roman like silver and copper. But his career was pulp and paper, so I reckon it was all about chlorine. My mom helped at an orphanage there and I remember them working on chlorinated potable water as well. Foggy but delightful memories!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.