The Cabana - A Work In Progress

Melt In The Sun said:
As a (relocated) cajun, I object to your correct spelling of our beloved "roulez". You can spell it right if you want, but I'll boycott your Mardi Gras party... :p
Melt, since it's not my goal to offend anyone I went home last evening and immediately changed the "r" to a "z".
Now, on the subject of Mardi Gras, I'll have to come to your pool in 2011 since March 8th is a little too soon to have our pool open in Michigan. :cry:

I am going to start digging my pool this weekend and our cabana will look similar to yours. Couple of questions that I have are what is the material that you used for the countertop at the bar and the material used for the doors. Please let me know, I hope mine looks half as good as yours.

TK

TK said:
I am going to start digging my pool this weekend and our cabana will look similar to yours. Couple of questions that I have are what is the material that you used for the countertop at the bar and the material used for the doors. Please let me know, I hope mine looks half as good as yours.TK
The countertop is constructed of a marine plywood base, tiled with some economical glass tiles we found at Menard's, grouted white, and then trimmed (edge band) in Poplar 1x and painted out with an exterior grade white latex paint.

The doors' base material is plywood, and the exterior is skinned with beadboard paneling (to pickup the vertical lines in the vinyl board & batten siding), trimmed out in LP SmartSide trim and again painted with exterior grade white latex paint. The plywood is exposed on the chalkboard side. The chalkboards are simple affairs. I used hardboard (like pegboard without the holes) and painted it with several coats of chalkboard paint, then attached it to the doors with construction adhesive and a few pin nails around the perimeter, which I covered with picture moulding painted (you guessed it) white!

I hope the above information was what you were looking for. Would love to see pictures of your build as it progresses!

Thanks for the info. I was debating the glass countertops but I may just go with a solid surface. I think the chalkboard idea was great. I look forward to building mine and I will be posting pics.

Thanks,

TK

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.