The bulge

GHB

May 22, 2023
North Bay On.
Hi, I have a 23ft round above ground pool, installed by "pros" from a pool company. Over the winter sometime, my pool developped some bulges in the metal wall at the bottom. I removed a bit of material under the track and the post support. There was a slight improvement but its not 100%. One bulge is leaving a gap of 1/2" between the post and pool wall at the bottom while other places, the bulge is outwards at the very bottom. I did notice last year the the water level was not the same everywhere and a quick measurement this year showed approx 1.5" difference in water height across the pool north to south when measured from the top rail to the water level. Water appears to be higher on the North side (10" top rail to water) where bulges are compared to the south side (11.5" top rail to water). My winter cover is still on, still cold here, and water level is just below skimmer and water inlet. There is no rust, only 2 yrs old. Would I be wrong in thinking I need to lower the south side of the pool to make this more even? The top of the pool seems pretty level so maybe they just did not level the bottom properly in which case lowering the posts and might not make any difference. I am really baffled with this one. It is not my first pool but I never had this issue before. Can anyone offer some advice based on experience?
Thank you
Ghb

Installer said, not their fault.
Oooooh, I'm not so sure about that. The paver appears to be leaning down & inward toward the pool which would mean the rail is also slipping off as well contributing to the buckle. This would be due to poor base prep.

Oooooh, I'm not so sure about that. The paver appears to be leaning down & inward toward the pool which would mean the rail is also slipping off as well contributing to the buckle. This would be due to poor base prep.
Exactly what I first thought. It's a very sandy soil. I can likely straighten it but then I will need to put some filler between the base and the post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, if you can't convince the pool company or installer to take responsibility for this issue (I hope you can), it's a heavy DIY project. For safety and accuracy, it's something best done with the pool mostly empty. Those pavers need a really good support base underneath. This could mean removing each one completely, digging and packing with a solid base material, re-level each paver, etc, etc. Not something you want to hear after paying a "pro" to install the pool. Unfortunately, you aren't the only one who has received less than quality work from a so-called pro in the area. :brickwall:

Well, if you can't convince the pool company or installer to take responsibility for this issue (I hope you can), it's a heavy DIY project. For safety and accuracy, it's something best done with the pool mostly empty. Those pavers need a really good support base underneath. This could mean removing each one completely, digging and packing with a solid base material, re-level each paver, etc, etc. Not something you want to hear after paying a "pro" to install the pool. Unfortunately, you aren't the only one who has received less than quality work from a so-called pro in the area. :brickwall:
Well I installed my first pool, an oval 16 x32 that lasted over 20yrs so I guess I'll just have to get at it.
Tks for the input.
G.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.