jmcdonaldrn

Apr 11, 2023
Folsom, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi. New to pools and just started up our 16,200 gal semi-inground pool with cartridge filter. Have the in-line Frog mineral system set up as well (before I knew about the BBB and this website).

I will use the Frog chlorine tabs until I run out, but can I switch to BBB method, even with the frog mineral chamber still running (it is supposed to last all summer)? Is there anything different I need to do or are expected test values different when also having the mineral chamber active?

Welcome to TFP.

The longer you run your Frog Mineral Chamber the more minerals you put in your water that can only cause bad things to happen. There is no upside and only downside to continue to put minerals in your water even though you paid for them.

There are no changes to TFP recommendations if you have minerals in your water or not.

Welcome to TFP!! :shark:

I'll second the vote. Remove the mineral chamber. Too many people come here needing help with problems from these systems.

Hey JMC and Welcome !!!! Nobody anywhere wants you to ever add copper to your pool. Nobody honest anyway. But because these things say minerals, or extra blue, the helpful kid at the pool store gives them a big thumbs up, not knowing any better.

Or they know better and want you to have staining so they can sell you lots of potions that only lift money from your wallet.

No amount of buyers remorse justifies keeping the frog.

Reactions: jmcdonaldrn

Staining and a full draining. The pool won't blow up, and as long as you properly chlorinate, it will be sterile, but still.

As stated in the article linked:
The biggest drawback to metal ion systems, besides the fact that they are NOT primary sanitizers, is that they can stain pools and people--green hair is caused by copper.

Hey JMC and Welcome !!!! Nobody anywhere wants you to ever add copper to your pool. Nobody honest anyway. But because these things say minerals, or extra blue, the helpful kid at the pool store gives them a big thumbs up, not knowing any better.

Or they know better and want you to have staining so they can sell you lots of potions that only lift money from your wallet.

No amount of buyers remorse justifies keeping the frog.
Thank u. I just confirmed that the frog I have contains silver and carbonate (no copper). The chlorine tabs do contain cya of course, so I guess I’ll have to watch that this doesn’t get too high.

I just confirmed that the frog I have contains silver and carbonate (no copper).
OK that's better. I still would not add either, for the sole reason that I already paid for them. Or for any other reason, but specifically not for that reason.

The chlorine tabs do contain cya of course, so I guess I’ll have to watch that this doesn’t get too high.
Keep an eye on it and switch once you trend out of range. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.