TFP pre-SLAM

Only a little dead algae now but FC dropped way too much today. Going to go back and read again about slam and stabilizer. I forgot my person here told me if it got down to where it just IMG_0230.jpegabout is now, I could check the stabilizer. Of course I just added chlorine to shock level. It seems to only drop so much during the day. Night time it is still dropping enough to not be done with slam though. Pictures are today- day. The one is a zoom of 'dead algae'.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You can test *PH* below 10 FC. Stabilizer / CYA you can test anytime.

You don't need to test the PH during slam.

You don't backwash with a cartridge filter so you aren't losing CYA with replacement water. If you get a couple inches of rain during the SLAM, it's not nearly enough to matter.

SLAM on. You got this !!!

Reactions: Maureen03
Its been a little over a week since your slam officially began & 11 days since you checked cya. It shouldn’t have changed too much since you don’t backwash or vac to waste but it won’t hurt to check it.
I imagine the uv has increased since you began & the high fc levels can burn off quickly in the sun.

Reactions: Maureen03
Still in SLAM looking to pass the Overnight Loss test. When I am cleared with that for a few days, and starting to add salt-do you think I should use my new filter and save this one for future use?

Still in SLAM looking to pass the Overnight Loss test. When I am cleared with that for a few days, and starting to add salt-do you think I should use my new filter and save this one for future use?
Is there something in particular wrong with your current one?

No. Just that it has been through the slam process and frequently hose rinsed
I plan on using my original filter for 10 years. Then I'll use the next one for 10 years.

If the bands are intact, there are no rips and the PSI drops when you clean them, they're good to go.

Reactions: Mdragger88
As newdude said- filters last a long time if properly cared for.
That said there’s nothing wrong with using your new one and then having a spare to quickly swap with for cleaning time.
I do that with my hot tub so i can clean the dirty one at my leisure without stopping the pump for an extended period.
My original filter is going on 6 years old and its in use right now.

Reactions: Newdude
I think my overnight chlorine loss will pass. Can I start adding some salt (3.5 bags of pool salt)? Should I only start the SWG when it is at the level it should be? Or when I pass the overnight test? I will have to find the numbers here. I know it's higher than device states.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As in add salt anytime 'after passing all three' or as in 'it's okay to start adding salt anytime now'? I probably won't start the swg until I have passed all three and have let the chlorine come down and increased the stabilizer. ...right?

As in add salt anytime 'after passing all three' or as in 'it's okay to start adding salt anytime now'? I probably won't start the swg until I have passed all three and have let the chlorine come down and increased the stabilizer. ...right?
You can add salt right now if you like - the slam & salt don’t affect one another.
You do however want the salt to be well mixed before turning on the swcg.
How much salt are we taking?
If its more than a bag wait 24 hrs before turning on the swcg.
Refresh my memory as to exactly what make & model swcg you have (add it to your signature)
& how are you testing the salt level?

I will be adding 3.5-4 bags of 40lb pool salt. There is none in, at all, ever. I thought it might be good to start adding it at this point. I have no experience with it at all. I bought the Taylor
k-2006 salt/ FAS/DP? The SWG is RetroJet IMG_2700.jpeg

So you tested the salt level with your kit?
If not, you should. Don’t assume you have zero.
All manually added forms of chlorine add salt to the pool as well as acid, & sweaty people. In some places the fill water contains salt.
Once you’ve confirmed your current salt level add maybe 3/4 of
PoolMath calls for to reach your target. Brush it around, Let it circulate for 24 hours and then retest to see where you landed. Then add the remaining amount it says you need and let it circulate again for 24 hours then retest to confirm before turning on the cell.
You can always add more but You don’t want to overshoot or you’ll have to replace water to get the level back down.

Reactions: kimkats
So you tested the salt level with your kit?
If not, you should. Don’t assume you have zero.
All manually added forms of chlorine add salt to the pool as well as acid, & sweaty people. In some places the fill water contains salt.
Once you’ve confirmed your current salt level add maybe 3/4 of
PoolMath calls for to reach your target. Brush it around, Let it circulate for 24 hours and then retest to see where you landed. Then add the remaining amount it says you need and let it circulate again for 24 hours then retest to confirm before turning on the cell.
You can always add more but You don’t want to overshoot or you’ll have to replace water to get the level back down.
No. Never added salt, tested or swam in it yet.

1400 salt. Passed the overnight test. I haven't been doing much brushing of walls and none of the floor. I think I will err on the side of caution, get in tomorrow, brush thoroughly (still SLAMing) and see if I set anything free and still pass the overnight test. Though I do have a really strong current. What do you think?

1400 salt. Passed the overnight test. I haven't been doing much brushing of walls and none of the floor. I think I will err on the side of caution, get in tomorrow, brush thoroughly (still SLAMing) and see if I set anything free and still pass the overnight test. Though I do have a really strong current. What do you think?
Brushing or vacuuming daily is a hugely important part of the slam- algae creates biofilms to protect itself from the chlorine. Brushing/vacumming breaks this up so the chlorine can get to the algae.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support