TF Test Kit - Smart Stirs going bad

Paybacks for beating the batteries in ? I dunno. 🤷‍♂️
It happened before the new batteries. Maybe that was the problem, weak batteries making it go wonky 🤷‍♀️
But I will buy an x when I buy new beakers if it will help prevent that. I will also probably buy the taylor ones because they’re embossed. The ink on my other ones comes off/smudges after the first use 😩

Reactions: Newdude
Either stirrer cracking a beaker is a new one to me......regardless which pill you use. They simply don't have the force.

If you have ink coming off TFTestkits cylinders, you should contact them. They WILL take care of it.

Either stirrer cracking a beaker is a new one to me......regardless which pill you use. They simply don't have the force.

If you have ink coming off TFTestkits cylinders, you should contact them. They WILL take care of it.
My first tft cylinder (purchased 8 or so years ago) lasted forever & the ink was fine most of it’s life. It was really stained so I replaced it.
All the ones I’ve gotten in the last few years seem to smudge immediately.
The pill cracked my cylinder on the first use.
Then I used my new cylinder, cracked immediately. They don’t leak so its ok but it’s weird.

The one I got from TFTestkits lasted right at a year. Not a battery issue, it just wouldn't work anymore. Used both new industrial alkalines and Energizer lithiums. You could push the button and it would light up for a split second then power back off.
That's what mine started to do. And then eventually, no light even for a split second.

For any issues such as those with the cylinders or with the Smart Stir, I'd like to encourage any TFtestkits customers to contact us directly at [email protected]. The issues outlined in this thread are not the norm and we would appreciate the opportunity to make them right. That said we cannot help with issues that we are not made aware of!

I have never encountered another example of the stir bars cracking cylinders.

As far as the cylinders themselves, it may be helpful to fill them from a secondary container (empty reagent bottle?) rather than to dip them directly into your pool or spa water. Rinse after use and air dry. Not sure if the ink coming off could be a result of chlorine exposure.

Looking forward to getting our hands on @jesse-99 's Smart Stir to get to the bottom of the issue!

Reactions: Mdragger88
I got a bunch of new stuff from TFTestKits a few months ago. The "Speedstir" included with my order is labelled Ciblanc. Originally the velocity was not very good but I replaced the batteries with some new ones and it is better. It appears that it may come with crappy batteries.

But the ink is coming off of my chlorine cylinder very quickly. I have probably only used it 10-15 times and the ink is going already.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as the cylinders themselves, it may be helpful to fill them from a secondary container (empty reagent bottle?) rather than to dip them directly into your pool or spa water. Rinse after use and air dry. Not sure if the ink coming off could be a result of chlorine exposure.
I placed a large order for refills of reagents and hardware in January as I was going to be in the US - I am in Canada and this stuff is like 5X more expensive in Canada, if you can find places to ship it!

I found that the Ciblanc didn't have much power, but that may be due to the crappy batteries that it shipped with. I replaced with some fresh batteries and it is stirring faster - at least my FAS-DPD powder is now dissolving.

But I also find that the ink on the "chlorine" cylinder is fading very quickly.

The one I got from TFTestkits lasted right at a year. Not a battery issue, it just wouldn't work anymore. Used both new industrial alkalines and Energizer lithiums. You could push the button and it would light up for a split second then power back off.
I had the exact same issue. I emailed and they were really cool about it. They told me the same thing about batteries so I tried 3 different types all non rechargeable with the same results. Didn’t feel like dealing with mailing it in so I just ordered another one on Amazon. I didn’t realize how much I love that speed stir until I didn’t have it for a few weeks

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Well here I am, with my tail between my legs. @jesse-99 has managed to find the only Smart Stir that has actually failed to power on after returning it to me. I'm looking forward to investigating further but for now I've replaced his. I'll report back to this thread if I find anything conclusively wrong with it.
Welcome to every Coder's reality :)

56c8eec022149.jpeg

I’ve had my speedstir from TFT, I think maybe 15 years, still works. The membrane over the left button has worn off, but, still working. I may have to push the button a couple of times to get it to stay on, but, it goes.
Nonrechargeable batteries last me one to two years, even using it for my pool 5 months a year, and for my aquarium testing throughout the year. Using the pill for the stir, don’t have the +. Sometimes it wiggles, but, usually an off/on thing helps.
Haven’t had any problems at all with ink on the grad cylinders, but maybe they used a better ink back then.
Since I use rechargables for electronic candles, computer mouse, and the like, I’ve switched to rechargeables in the stir. Have to recharge every couple months or so, but that’s no big deal at all.
Nonrechargeables are 1.5 v, rechargeables are 1.2 v. That’s why they don’t last as long. But, it still saves buying new batteries periodically.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.