jwlv

Dec 19, 2023
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We have a very small pool in Las Vegas so we keep it open year round as it’s not too expensive to heat when we want to use it in the off season. Today, when not heated, the water temperature was about 40F. I see the following in the Taylor K-2006C testing and treatment guide:

Sample water temperatures should be between 50F and 90F […] Sample water temperatures below 50F may cause incorrect colors to appear and may coagulate some indicators.

Looking at former TFP posts, I’m lead to believe that the only tests sensitive to water temp are the CYA test (sample needs to be warmed) and the PH test (must be done at the actual pool water temp or it will be inaccurate). However, the CYA test is not a color test and the PH test is, so I’m not sure how to reconcile the above excerpt from the Taylor manual with what I’ve read on TFP. Was hoping someone could help me understand this. Which tests can I run with water under 50F and which tests require a warmed sample? For tests that require a warmed sample above 50F, how do you warm it? Just let it set inside until it warms on its own?

Thanks much!

Last edited:
You got it right. :)

Use the actual temp for PH and bring the CYA test indoors to warm up. The others don't matter. You can bring the sample inside and run the PH test first and be close enough. Then run the others and wait a bit for the CYA to warm up.

Some cap the CYA / mix / pool sample bottle and put it in their pocket while running the other tests to speed the warming up.

Reactions: mgtfp and jwlv
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.