Testing the percentage of sodium hypochlorite

What is the purpose of the CC test?

As already mentioned, CCs are a sign that nitrogen based substances like ammonia or urea have reacted with chlorine and have formed "combined chlorine". It then takes a certain amount of "free chlorine" to complete the oxidation process which ends basically with nitrogen gas being released.

CCs are common in pools with high bather load, they are usually more of a problem in public pools than in residential pools, especially when following the TFP protocol because there's always enough FC to quickly deal with the little CC that forms. Maybe after a big pool party, especially with little kids involved that have to much FOMO to go to the bathroom.

I understand all of that and how it works. My question would be to the testing side of it. If the testing shows zero, what is the point if it is possible it is still lingering and causing higher bleach usage?

My thought is that if the CC test shows zero CC, but it is still recommended that there is still CC in the water
Still doesn't make sense...if CC tests zero, how is it still recommended that there is CC in the water? I'm not being combative, just a lack of understanding on my part...try again?

Still doesn't make sense...if CC tests zero, how is it still recommended that there is CC in the water? I'm not being combative, just a lack of understanding on my part...try again?
It has been suggested in this tread that I still have something lingering that is causing higher Liquid bleach usage. So I am asking why it would not show up in the CC test

It has been suggested in this tread that I still have something lingering that is causing higher Liquid bleach usage. So I am asking why it would not show up in the CC test

There are many chemicals that chlorine could interact with and oxidize and never show up as CCs. The CC test simply measures monochloramine and dichloramine for the most part. So you really can’t use CC’s as a measurement that way. If you are losing more than 4ppm FC per day, then something is creating that demand.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then why test for CC?

I don’t regularly bother with testing for CCs. It tends to be more important in hot tub testing. But, if you need to SLAM a pool due to some fouling of the water, CCs tell you if there are any nitrogenous compounds lingering in the water. Clarity and FC overnight demand are better predictors of algae presence.

Then why test for CC?
Because if you have CC over 0.5, it’s indicative of a problem. Lack of CCs don’t necessarily mean no problem. Just that that specific indicator doesn’t show a problem. There can be other indicators that do, like cloudiness, visible algae, or loss of FC beyond what the sun can explain.

Ok, back to original basis on the thread. I have a new brand of bleach. After two days of use I am back on a basic schedule of using about 4 ppm of FC per day. I am pretty confident in saying that I was correct about the bleach being compromised in some way and not at a full 10%. But I will give it a few days

Reactions: IceShadow
Ok, back to original basis on the thread. I have a new brand of bleach. After two days of use I am back on a basic schedule of using about 4 ppm of FC per day. I am pretty confident in saying that I was correct about the bleach being compromised in some way and not at a full 10%. But I will give it a few days
Best way to be certain is the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Most of the time you don't need to test for CCs.

You only need to test if there is a reason to believe that you might have CCs.

However, if you don't know what the reasons are, you should test periodically to become aware of when they happen and when they don't happen.

For a well maintained pool, you should never get algae and rarely any CCs.

CCs might happen after heavy use of the pool and especially if someone pees in the pool.

• Haha
Reactions: PoolStored
Then why test for CC?
Because CCs tell you if someone pi$$ed in your pool. If so you want to treat the water.

Algae is not itself a problem. Algae is a symptom of an unsanitary pool. Just like CCs are a symptom of an unsanitary pool.

You would be fine to swim in a pool if it only had algae in the water, and often you do.

There are many thing that can make a pool unsanitary and a health hazard. You cannot test for most of them. You test for secondary indicators that show possible problems.

I just covered my windshield in coffee because my brain read the last sentence of post 56, and skipped over the quote in post 57 to read the reply first. Thanks ALOT.

Did you try to clean the windshield with your wipers? Seems like a natural reflex...

• Haha
Reactions: JamesW and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.