South Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our spa is 7x7 attached to our pool and has an opening to let water overflow into the pool (pic attached). Our PB set up pool mode to where the actuator doesn’t fully shut off to the spa on the return side (I think?) so there is a small waterfall effect from the spa when in pool mode. I run the pumps 8 hours a day so that small waterfall is happening for that same 8 hours. The true spillway mode is not set up (nor do I know if it even can be?) My question is about water chemistry. Is that small spillover from pool mode enough to circulate water into the spa so that whatever chemicals I’m adding to the pool with eventually feed into the spa and sanitize it the same way or does the spa need it’s own chemicals added in it and it’s own water test separate of the pool? Thanks!

Attachments

• 3FA001C8-01DD-4921-8DA5-3E3EE7B4967D.jpeg
    3FA001C8-01DD-4921-8DA5-3E3EE7B4967D.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 12
Yes, the spillover water flow is enough to have the spa with the same water chemistry as your pool.

@Jimrahbe can take you though automating the spillover function in your EasyTouch.

Yes, the spillover water flow is enough to have the spa with the same water chemistry as your pool.

@Jimrahbe can take you though automating the spillover function in your EasyTouch.
Awesome great to hear. So is there a way to keep pool mode as what it is now with a small water fall effect, spa mode where the valve shuts off to only operate spa water, and also spillway mode where there is a bigger waterfall effect?

You could do that but constant running your spillway causes aeration which causes your pH ro rise more rapidly. You will be adding acid more often if you keep your spillway running.

I have my SPILLOVER programmed to run at 9am and 1pm for 15 minutes to refresh the water twice daily and get the spa chemicals the same as the pool water chemistry.

You could do that but constant running your spillway causes aeration which causes your pH ro rise more rapidly. You will be adding acid more often if you keep your spillway running.

I have my SPILLOVER programmed to run at 9am and 1pm for 15 minutes to refresh the water twice daily and get the spa chemicals the same as the pool water chemistry.
Does the small spillover in pool mode I have now count as spillway? I think I may have asked that in a confusing way or just need to clarify for my own understanding haha.

idea I have now is to keep the small spillover set up by the PB (valve slightly open to spa return in pool mode) and use that as my primary mode of circulating kit spa water.

Keep spa mode where it closes off the drain to the pool and circulated only spa water (obviously)

Set up a 3rd option of spillway mode where it would be a true spillway where water comes out at a faster rate like a true waterfall.

Am I understanding spillway mode correctly? Is it more powerful than the current setup or a slow spillover?

I would just use the true spillway if we had guests over to set the backyard ambiance and of course show off a bit hah

Does the small spillover in pool mode I have now count as spillway? I think I may have asked that in a confusing way or just need to clarify for my own understanding haha.

Yes.
idea I have now is to keep the small spillover set up by the PB (valve slightly open to spa return in pool mode) and use that as my primary mode of circulating kit spa water.

You are now aware of the effect it has on your pH and how to change it if your desire.

Keep spa mode where it closes off the drain to the pool and circulated only spa water (obviously)

That is normal SPA mode.

Set up a 3rd option of spillway mode where it would be a true spillway where water comes out at a faster rate like a true waterfall.

Am I understanding spillway mode correctly? Is it more powerful than the current setup or a slow spillover?

I would just use the true spillway if we had guests over to set the backyard ambiance and of course show off a bit hah

You can set your pump speed when in SPILLOVER mode for whatever effect you desire.

Look at your Easytouch manual and set up a Feature Circuit. Use Spillway. Set a pump RPM for it and use an Egg Timer. Then when you want to run it, go to Screenlogic (do you have that?) and select under Features Spillway. It will run.

Reactions: jlamb5990
Look at your Easytouch manual and set up a Feature Circuit. Use Spillway. Set a pump RPM for it and use an Egg Timer. Then when you want to run it, go to Screenlogic (do you have that?) and select under Features Spillway. It will run.
Yep have screenlogic and have set up schedules and egg timers so that shouldn’t be too bad. Is there a recommended RPM to set for a more robust spillway. More that the slow overflow I have now in pool mode

Try different rpm settings. Very easy to adjust in ScreenLogic.
Sounds good. So one last question (maybe ha). If i wanted to set up the true Spillover mode function, would i have to recam that acuator valve to close the full way when in pool mode? Our PB recammed from the factory setting to have that slight offset in pool mode to allow for the slow overflow. In its current state, will the valve still know where to stop in Spillover mode or is it smart enough to keep pool mode at 30% open, spa mode closed and spillover mode open?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds good. So one last question (maybe ha). If i wanted to set up the true Spillover mode function, would i have to recam that acuator valve to close the full way when in pool mode?
yes

Our PB recammed from the factory setting to have that slight offset in pool mode to allow for the slow overflow.
Your PB does not understand how to use all the features of the ET. He took the quick old fashioned way.
In its current state, will the valve still know where to stop in Spillover mode or is it smart enough to keep pool mode at 30% open, spa mode closed and spillover mode open?
In SPILLOVER mode the return valve is in the same position as SPA mode. The suction valve is in its pool position.

Reactions: jlamb5990
yes

Your PB does not understand how to use all the features of the ET. He took the quick old fashioned way.

In SPILLOVER mode the return valve is in the same position as SPA mode. The suction valve is in its pool position.
Yep it all clicks now. Appreciate you taking the time walking me through it all. Just need to make a decision which route we want to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.