Testing my pool

A PH of 8.2 is a little high. When adding chemicals other than chlorine it is often best to use less than you really think you need. Then you can test the water and see how you are doing and adjust how much you add for the second dose.

You can increase the range of the OTO test by diluting the pool water 1 to 1 with distilled water and then doubling the result. If you need to go higher still you can add two parts of distilled water to one of pool water and multiply the result by three. The results will be a bit less accurate but usable.

You don't want to make big chemical additions like that with anything but chlorine. It's too easy to overshoot your goal. Concentrate on your chlorine. Do the dilution like Jason said. You've lost most of the chlorine you put in last night, so be prepared to add more.

Thanks for all the help and guidance,
Here is an update.
CL ~12ppm (this is with the OTO test in which I have diluted the pool water with distilled water to get this approx. reading)
PH 8.0
TA 161
The pool is no longer green, just cloudy, I can see the main drain now. Just not too clear.
I just vacuumed and backwashed the filter.
I assume that the CL will gradually decrease and the water will clear up with continued daily vacuuming and backwashing of the filter.
I will also keep an eye on the PH and add some PH down or pure muriatic acid (both of which I have around) if it stays at 8.0 for long.
Let me know if there is anything I'm missing.
all suggestions appreciated
Mike

Siegfried said:
How long should take for the CL levels to come down, on average?

With algae, just a few hours. Depending on your CYA level, the sunlight will destroy it pretty quickly too. Probably only a couple of days.

update:
Pool is looking good.
ph sitting at 7.6
CL at about 3.0
Clear water, that is after I vaccumed all the twigs, needles and other debris from a storm we had up here on Friday.
I still haven't gotten a complete test kit but I'm looking.

thank you all for your help,
A truely informative and educative Forum,

thx

Siegfried

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.