Testing inconsistencies

Jun 26, 2013
Irmo, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ya'll, I am about to cry. I had an algae flare-up, which I haven't had in over two years thanks to you guys. I think it's the dreaded mustard algae. I finally finished shocking (passed OCLT) and raised the FC to mustard algae shock level yesterday. We got 3.5 inches of rain yesterday. When I checked the chlorine this morning, it was much lower than I thought it should be--26 when I was up to 34 shock level last night. I was wondering if my testing was accurate, so I got a glass of pool water and started testing. Here are my five results from the same glass of water:

This is sooo frustrating! I am holding the dropper vertically. The first few drops seem to drip out quickly and then I apply gentle pressure so that they're coming out about 1 per second. I am swirling the entire time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Note: I usually buy all my chemicals from tftestkits, but I did buy a large bottle of R0871 from Amazon because I was blowing through the regeant so quickly that I had gone through 2 two-ounce bottles in a week. The bottle from Amazon came from China, so that had me a bit worried. Could this be the problem? I've never done multiple tests from the same sample before but have always just trusted my results, so I don't know if this was happening other times for me or not.

I just don't know how to rely on my testing with results this varied from the same sample.

Thanks for any input!

Some variation is expected at those very high FC levels.

If the reagent is not a Taylor product, I would not trust it.

It has a Taylor label on it and doesn’t expire for 8 months. It’s just frustrating because now I’m not sure if I had overnight loss or not, and if I did, I’m back to shocking. I know it’s supposed to be safe to swim at shock level, but I have never felt comfortable doing that and am ready to use the pool again! See pic for just part of the bleach I’ve added this week. Lowe’s employers look at me like I’m crazy buying all of this. 😊

Attachments

• 3CC39CD7-69B3-4C63-948B-56BD6448BED5.jpeg
    3CC39CD7-69B3-4C63-948B-56BD6448BED5.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 9
If the water is crystal clear and no CC, then let FC drop to near 10 ppm and do the OCLT at that level.

Water is crystal clear and has been the whole time! Should I declare this shock finished since I did pass the OCLT two nights ago? I just don’t want that mustard algae to start back up. The shocking process has taken so long and don’t want to have to restart it.

Water is crystal clear and has been the whole time. I passed the OCLT two nights ago and was just trying to keep it up to mustard shock, but it seemed to lose chlorine overnight last night. That’s why I’m concerned. I guess I’ll let it drift back to normal now and hope for the best? Just don’t want to have to start this process over if the mustard algae didn’t quite get eradicated!

Another quick question: the algae on the wall that I found that started all this felt slimy to the touch, and mustard algae is supposed to be gritty. But when I vacuumed, there was a lot of sand-colored grit in the filter bag. Is this mustard algae or just dirt?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Call your SLAM done. Assume you passed the OCLT and you DID pass the other two criteria. Mustard algae IS NOT gritty but NO ALGAE of any kind will come back if you maintain your FC levels according to the FC/CYA chart in Pool School.

That's also assuming you will brush and vacuum as needed and check your FC daily.

Call your SLAM done. Assume you passed the OCLT and you DID pass the other two criteria. Mustard algae IS NOT gritty but NO ALGAE of any kind will come back if you maintain your FC levels according to the FC/CYA chart in Pool School.

That's also assuming you will brush and vacuum as needed and check your FC daily.
Perfect! Thanks! That’s what I’ll do. I actually don’t brush the pool often, but we do vacuum frequently with a dolphin. I’ll get on a regular brushing schedule. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.