Testing for Dummies-Need Help

If you use the liquid, you must use the entire bottle at one time...and you must rinse it until there is nothing left in the bottle...
I did not yet because I didn't want it too high. I shook it vigorously between the buckets I added and the next round will be the remainder. And yes...I see why you say that. I found the jug my husband had put in and (just for kicks) added pool water to it and shook it up, poured it in the bucket, repeat until the water ran clear. It filled my little 4lb bucket from Leslie's dry CYA between what was left in the bucket and the water I mixed it with.
Got it! I saw the log of 30...
The first time I did the log, something I saw or did made me think I couldn't put anything lower than 30 so I rounded up, but it was barely below 30. FC & CYA levels on my log are current & accurate as of today now.

So do I count it as 35 or 40?
There are two ways to test, either is valid.
1) Fill slowly until the dot is obscured. Record the highest number of the two lines you are between.
2) Fill to each line, then look. Whichever line the dot is obscured, that is your number.

CYA values should end in a 0.

If you were truly between 30 and 40, call it 40.

I can't thank you all enough for everything! I've been telling everyone I come across about how much I've learned from you all. I think my hubs is tired of listening to me, lol. Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow!

I think my hubs is tired of listening to me, lol.
I'm the running joke in my family and at work...Join #TeamAlwaysTalkingPool They just roll their eyes. Pfffffft...

Dance Dancing GIF by BBC

Yikes. If there was ever a motivator to keep FC above TFP mins forever, this thread is it. As a bystander, I'm in awe of the diligence and positive tone of the whole conversation. Pool geeks are special people. Congrats on the progress @shellydsizemore . Brilliant.

They just roll their eyes. Pfffffft...
Yup... that was him last night, haha!
Yikes. If there was ever a motivator to keep FC above TFP mins forever, this thread is it. As a bystander, I'm in awe of the diligence and positive tone of the whole conversation. Pool geeks are special people. Congrats on the progress @shellydsizemore . Brilliant.
Working from home helps, but small town life limits your options! And thank you! I couldn't have done it without those here!

Results from last night to this morning:
11:30pm FC-16
8:30am FC-13

That is a HUGE improvement, but after losing 7.5 the day before, I'm not sure I trust it. I was 2 hours late in grabbing the sample...it was a LONG day yesterday. Also, I remembered last night that we have been running the SWG 24/7 at superchlorinate/100% for a while and I forgot to turn it off the 1st night I did the overnight test. I turned it off last night, though, and lost less? A LOT less?

Edited to add latest update.
Checked levels again at 11 after testing the 8am sample. With nothing new added and SWG still off, FC was at 10.5. I only tested so I could calculate what to add.

Turned the SWG back on to 100%, brushed and added a gallon of 10%. Currently sitting at 14 FC and 40 CYA (and this time, it was clearly & exactly 40 on the tube!) Water level is a bit low so we're adding some now. We are going to vacuum as well. I don't want to lose my progress with the CYA, so am I okay to just vacuum? Or do I need to vacuum to waste? (Please say no, lol!)

Will be getting in this afternoon to brush some more of the harder to reach from outside the pool areas.

Last edited:
Go ahead and vacuum... if its disgusting stuff, or solids you're bringing up, do it to waste. If its teeny floating stuff and you don't mind your filter handling it, send it to the filter.
Be aware that the filter will require backwashing (with some water loss there) faster if you do the latter.

We backwash our filter when the gauge increases 25% over the filter's clean pressure reading.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: shellydsizemore

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.