Gold Supporter
Nov 13, 2022
Spring Branch, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New pool owner and received a testing kit from our PB. I've been reading threads for the past several weeks and will be getting a better testing kit recommended by many on this site, Taylor K2006. In the meantime, I figured let me use the reagents in the PB testing kit we received. What I found is the PB comparator for chlorine only goes up to 3ppm. I currently have 50ppm CYA and as such using the FC/CYA chart, my chlorine is recommended to be between 4-8ppm. I went online and bought a Taylor 9056 comparator up to 10ppm. Can I use the reagents in my PB testing kit for chlorine or do I need to buy Talyor reagents? I went online and read reagents are not the same. Also, confused as the Talyor comparator has a pink color showing for chlorine and our tester for chlorine shows a yellow color for measurement. Tks all

New pool owner and received a testing kit from our PB. I've been reading threads for the past several weeks and will be getting a better testing kit recommended by many on this site, Taylor K2006. In the meantime, I figured let me use the reagents in the PB testing kit we received. What I found is the PB comparator for chlorine only goes up to 3ppm. I currently have 50ppm CYA and as such using the FC/CYA chart, my chlorine is recommended to be between 4-8ppm. I went online and bought a Taylor 9056 comparator up to 10ppm. Can I use the reagents in my PB testing kit for chlorine or do I need to buy Talyor reagents? I went online and read reagents are not the same. Also, confused as the Talyor comparator has a pink color showing for chlorine and our tester for chlorine shows a yellow color for measurement. Tks all
The yellow comparators are really just for an estimation of the chlorine level at 5ppm or below and not all that accurate. You want the FAS-DPD reagents (pink to clear) that can measure accurately up to something like 0-50ppm.

The yellow comparators are really just for an estimation of the chlorine level at 5ppm or below and not all that accurate. You want the FAS-DPD reagents (pink to clear) that can measure accurately up to something like 0-50ppm.
Ok, I think I got it and understand. I assume then buying the Taylor comparator I would need different reagents specifically for the comparator to get an accurate reading and not the yellow comparator provided by my PB. Also I guess I can buy individualized reagents for the fas-dpd along with the comparator or just buy the Taylor 1515a.

The FAS/DPD test does not use a comparator block.

You need a 25ML vial, indicator powder you add to test water in the vial, and reagent drops you count to determine the FC level.

The reagent concentration needs to match the comparator block for proper readings on OTO tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.