Testing a cold water sample

This is why you get algae in the spring. Closing with higher temps and opening with higher temps is your issue. It is allowing algae growth.

What type of cover do you have on the pool? If you can peel back a corner and test FC and use liquid chorine to chlorinate while covered would help. Drop a sump pump without any hose on it in an opened corner, turn it on, slowly pour in liquid chlorine and sump will distribute. Better yet, also throw in the dolphin if you have one. Maintaining FC once a week while it is "closed," likely will help you avoid algae.
Thanks for the advice. I have a mesh loop lock cover. If I decide to add liquid chlorine while it is closed like you suggested, when should I start doing this? Could I wait until March when the weather starts warming to start adding the liquid chlorine? I have a sump pump and use it every 6-8 weeks to lower the water level below the tiles so I could use it to distribute some chlorine if this could help.

Thanks for the advice. I have a mesh loop lock cover. If I decide to add liquid chlorine while it is closed like you suggested, when should I start doing this? Could I wait until March when the weather starts warming to start adding the liquid chlorine? I have a sump pump and use it every 6-8 weeks to lower the water level below the tiles so I could use it to distribute some chlorine if this could help.
Depends on your weather. I'm in OH so I'm colder. I close October 15-30th, when water temps are below 60. I soft open under the mesh cover *religiously* April 15. This year FC was 2 when I soft opened. (closed at 1/2 slam FC and polyquat 60). I would start testing water temps in late February (?) in KY...when it gets close to 60, start maintaining FC. If you are pulling the cover to lower the water...test and replace FC. Use that sump to swirl around for 1/2 hour, close 'er back up!

Edit to add. Test and replace FC in the fall until water temps are reliably below 60...don't wait until February and hope. You can do soft close and soft open...

What works really well for testing CYA from a pool with cold water is:
  1. Add pool water to the first line in the CYA sample bottle and cap it.
  2. Then put the capped CYA sample bottle into your pocket. You'll feel that it is cold. By the time you have completed all of the other tests the CYA sample bottle would have warmed up to room temperature.
  3. Take it out of your pocket.
  4. Then add CYA reagent to the upper line, shake for 30 seconds.
  5. Then get ready to do the test, outside with sunlight, CYA bottle at your waist, sun at your back. Pour the sample into the tube, glance for the dot don't stare.
I have done this, it definitely works - I always do the same with my kid’s ear drops. A little trick the dr taught me 😉

Reactions: Nadadora
I recently tested my pool water which is 65 degrees and it said that my CYA and calcium are much higher than they were 2 weeks ago.

Maybe two weeks ago you tested after rain without having had the pump run for long enough? Rain water has a lower density than the saltier pool water and floats on top until properly mixed.

Reactions: Nadadora
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.