Test results

Good evening everybody!!!

7:00 Test Results

FC 12
CC 0.5
TC 12.5

Hopefully I didn't need to add anything tonight...Not enough time before running out of light. Should I test one more time? would an hour change numbers?

I guess I'll post new results in the morning...Do I have to test before the sun rises or before the sun is directly on pool?

FYI, the water has always looked clear.

Thanks for everyones help so far!!! :-D

Good Morning!!!!

It is a good morning....I think I passed the Overnight FC Loss Test!!!!!! :whoot:

5:00 am Test Results

FC 11
CC 0.5
TC 11.5

I now have the FAS-DPD Test down pat!!

What are my next steps to keep this pool in check? I'm assuming I should perform all tests today (I won't be able to run them all untill around 10:00am or so)
Unless I didn't pass the test or someone has other suggestions, I'll just repost after I retest.

BTW, if I havent said so yet........THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP SO FAR!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Have A Great Day Everybody!

Well, your close but you are technically not there.

The three criteria to stop the shock process are...

1. Your water is crystal clear.
2. You lose less than 1.0 FC during the FC overnight loss test (LESS than 1.0 is what you're looking for)
3. Your CC's test is .5 or less

Wel, as Dave said, you are technically not quite there! You are very, very close though :goodjob:

You have met 2 of the 3 criteria to being done shocking. You said your water is clear (check) and your cc is .5 (check). So all you need to do is get the overnight loss to less than 1.0 ppm FC.

Here is a Pool School article on pool care with testing schedules pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule

Generally, test FC & pH daily and the rest weekly, except CYA which is tested in spring and midsummer and anytime there has been substantial water replacement.

Now, it looks like the only thing you need to test today is FC & CC (& pH if your FC drops below 10ppm)

OTOH, if you really wanna practice with your test kit, go ahead as lots of folks do. Also, duraleigh has unlimited reagent refills! :)

11:00am Test Results

Ph 7.2
FC 9.5
CC 0
TC 9.5

In the "How to shock your pool", part of the criteria says "if it loses 1 ppm or less overnight". But it actually means less than 1 ppm overnight, correct?

Since you dont think the pool met all of the criteria, I should add more bleach to get it back up to 13 correct? Calculator says to add 112 oz. of bleach to get it up to that level.
Its supposed to rain later today/tonight...will that affect the levels?

oasis1 said:
in the "How to shock your pool", part of the criteria says "if it loses 1 ppm or less overnight". But it actually means less than 1 ppm overnight, correct?
There has been some debate about that. Less than 1 ppm you are for sure fine. At 1 ppm it is a little questionable but you are probably fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd say yes, add the bleach. Error on the side of caution, looks like you have gained the upperhand but just barely. I'd want to know I had for sure beaten all the organics. To top off with bleach is cheaper than battling a lingering and frusterating algae problem. :goodjob: IMHO

ROB N said:
I'd say yes, add the bleach. Error on the side of caution, looks like you have gained the upperhand but just barely. I'd want to know I had for sure beaten all the organics. To top off with bleach is cheaper than battling a lingering and frusterating algae problem. :goodjob: IMHO

I agree with Rob :goodjob:

Also, I suggest you do another overnight test tonight. You are so close you will probably be home free in the morning!

Butterfly said:
.........OTOH, if you really wanna practice with your test kit, go ahead as lots of folks do. Also, duraleigh has unlimited reagent refills! :)
RobbieH said:
Yea, but he charges for them. And I found out this time I couldn't resist getting a stirrer so I'll feel like I"m back in my college chemistry lab. :)

lol :lol: Yep, that stirrer is fantastic and makes testing lots more fun! I no longer mind testing my CAL :mrgreen:

Good Morning!

I added bleach yesterday.....

Test results from Last Night
FC 13
CC 0
TC 13

Test Results from this Morning
FC 12 :cry:
CC 0.5
TC 12.5

It rained last night, I'm not sure if that would affect the numbers? I think its supposed to rain off and on all weekend.
I'm assuming I'll need to test again this afternoon and add bleach to keep numbers at shock level and do the OFCLT again.
Does it usually take this long?
I know the article on how to shock your pool says you should test at least 2 times a day......how often do you test when shocking?

Have a good day everybody!!! :)

So next I let the FC level go back to the normal level and then retest everything tomorrow?
Do you do the OFCLT everyday? I was planning on testing FC every evening and morning....or is that overkill?

Hopefully I wont be bothering you all for a while!!!! (I can't guarantee that though) :)

BTW, I will become a Lifetime Supporter soon (maybe even a Platinum Supporter!) :-D

THIS SITE ROCKS!!!!!! :whoot:

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Have a Great Weekend!!!

Yes, let FC go back to normal, and retest/balance your other parameters...
You don't have to do overnight tests anymore- as long as no problems develop- that's only for determining when shock is done!
Enjoy your pool this weekend!

i use the OTO test every day just to make sure there's chlorine in there and that the pH looks good. Then about once a week, or when I get a wild hair, I break out the FAS-DPD and run the FC & CC tests. Then, once a month I break out the big kit and run all the tests.

madwil said:
Enjoy your pool this weekend!

I wish we could....temp outside is only in the 60's and pool temp is 60....won't be getting in there!!!
We could use the heater but I feel like it would be a waste of money since the outside temp hasn't gotten above 68 degrees yet.
The warm weather is really taking longer than normal to get here this year. :cry:

Thanks again for everyones help!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.