Test Results - need analysis please

Hi Mike, I couldn't find anywhere where I said it was "above the 100 mark". I said "it's still about a 1/4 inch below the 100 mark...", but I do appreciate the follow-up. I tested a friends water who recently bought a pool and is using the pucks. I could see the black dot on his when the tube was filled all the way to the top. I told him I was jealous but that he should really stop using those pucks after it gets to be in the "good" range because he'll end up like me with high CYA. :)

Thanks guys for pointing out the effects of low/high alkalinity. It was said that high alkalinity can cause PH lock, which my PH is 7.5 now so looks like I'm good. But what about scaling that is harmful to equipment caused from having a high TA (175) - should I worry about that?

Thanks,
Jamie

Maintaining the current "status quo" of your pool chemistry with a temperature of between 22-29oC will maintain your water in a reasonable balance until such time as you are ready to close and drain/partial drain.

Running your numbers through pool calculator gives your CSI return with those figures and the above temperatures.

Whilst your CH is low and your TA is high, it should not be of major concern unless you were going to be running your pool constantly at those numbers.

Regards
Stuart

No problem Mike, I'm just amazed at the amount of help you can get on this site! You guys are all awesome in helping others out and educating! I'm just glad everybody has patience and understands that everyone started off as newbies. :)

It was said that high alkalinity can cause PH lock, which my PH is 7.5 now so looks like I'm good. But what about scaling that is harmful to equipment caused from having a high TA (175) - should I worry about that?
Scaling is caused by high CH in the presence of high pH and you have neither so scaling isn't really an issue.

pH doesn't "lock" but rather becomes more difficult to move when the TA is high

You could lower the TA if you chose, but if it was my pool I would leave it alone and let it slowly lower over time.....with your pH and CH well within the guidelines, TA of 170 will not be a problem.

I cringe a little when the discussion turns to LSI/CSI. LSI is not applicable at all to pools (it's for boilers) and as long as you keep your parameters within the guidelines suggested in pool school you can live your life complete without having to give CSI a thought.

Glad we can assist Max, no-one is infallible, and everyone on this site is learning no matter what their experience, I personally regularly enjoy reading certain threads that I have not participated in, for the simple purpose of expanding my own knowledge. Enjoy!!

As regards LSI/CSI, Dave made a reasonable point regarding their usefulness, although I personally, along with many other Pool Professionals do use LSI to give a "reasonable" indication of pool water's tendancy, I do refute the claim that LSI is "for boilers"

Moving onto the use of the word "pH lock" at high TA levels, whatever word you chose to describe it, it becomes very hard to shift at high TA levels, as Dave has so graciously pointed out.

The overriding information Max needs to take away from this is which has already been conveyed:
Your TA is high but not really of concern
Your CYA is high, but given the correct chlorine residual need not be of concern for the remainder of the season
CH generally is irrelevant in Liner Pools
your pH is locked/stuck/whatever at the 7.5 mark - happy days!
once the season is complete you can look forward to a happy new season using so much information you have gained from TFP and Pool School.

Regards
Stu

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.