Alright, I got my TF-100 in today. Here were my results:

FC: 1.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.7
TA: 80
CH: 250
CYA: < 20

Here are my initial approaches/questions:
1. I will be adding LC to bring FC up a bit.
2. I am shocked that my CYA is so low. This is my 2nd year with a pool. Last year I ran nothing but tabs and shock and did all my testing thru Leslie’s. They had told me my CYA was 90+. I have not run tabs since July 2023. Is it really possible for CYA to drop that much? Do I need to be concerned I tested something incorrectly?
3. Assuming test results are correct, can I use tabs to increase CYA? I still have some leftover. How much should I use?
4. Anything else I should be doing or focusing on?

Are you just now opening the pool?
How does the water look? Cloudy or any visible algae?
Raise cya to 30 with granular stabilizer (sock method) - tabs will take too long & use liquid chlorine to fc in target range
FC/CYA Levels.
You can then do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae unless it’s visible algae / cloudy water - if that’s the case its
SLAM Process time.
For the cya - if the tube was cloudy at all just add 20ppm worth of cya and retest in 24 hours so you don’t over do it.

I have been putting LC in daily to try to maintain some kind of FC level. Ultimately I was waiting on my test kit to have confidence my numbers were correct.

Water is clear and no visible signs of algae.

The CYA tube was definitely cloudy and the black dot was very faintly seen.

Any particular stabilizer that is recommended?

Reactions: Newdude
Walmart / HD / Lowes has CYA (stabilizer) in 4 or 5 lb bags. Pool stores may or may not have a good deal. Make sure it says 100% cyanuric acid in the ingredients.

Add 15 CYA per PoolMath. Hang it in a sock, carrot on a stick like, in front of a running return. Some time later or even tomorrow it will squish right out. It will register the next day on the test.

Also. FC is a moving target with less daily demand now and more in the peak season. 'Target range' is for that reason. 2 FC may still be a 2 day supply, yet only a 3 hour supply in July.

You want :

Minimum FC
+ Recent daily loss
+ 1 or 2 ppm wiggle room
-----------------------------
= stupid clear trouble free pool.

lc_chart.jpg

Also. FC is a moving target with less daily demand now and more in the peak season. 'Target range' is for that reason. 2 FC may still be a 2 day supply, yet only a 3 hour supply in July.

You want :

Minimum FC
+ Recent daily loss
+ 1 or 2 ppm wiggle room
-----------------------------
= stupid clear trouble free pool.

View attachment 566757
Probably an ignorant question, but if I’m adding LC daily, what is the best way to go about finding “recent daily loss”?

Probably an ignorant question, but if I’m adding LC daily, what is the best way to go about finding “recent daily loss”?
Add more than you think you’ll need today - like at/above high target then test again tomorrow & record the difference - this way you’ll stay clear above minimum but have a better understanding of daily loss this time of year.

Reactions: Newdude
With regular testing the light bulb will go off quickly that you've been losing 2ppm (?) a day now, then slowly increasing to 4 ppm per day in the peak season. Then for the back half it slowly decreases each day back to little daily loss in the late fall.

Adjust dose as needed.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support