Test Equipment Questions

May 5, 2014
Dallas
What is the general opinion of the LaMotte testing Equipment? I have the

Lamotte 2087 COLORQ 2X PRO 7​

I also have the Leslie's version of the Waterline Spin Touch, the one that takes the disks.

Does anyone use these, and what are your thoughts? I am surprised at the different results I get from each device, given that they are from the same manufacturer.

Thanks

Do you want to share the results of the tests ?
The only instrument that I have experience with is AccuBlue from my local Leslie pool store, which is probably the Waterline Spin Touch line.
TA always tested low, probably a recal from CYA, not sure. (20 ppm difference).
Salt also tested low. (400 ppm difference)
Comparison is with my Taylor tests.

Sure. Here was the last test with the Spin Touch:

pH 7.9
Alk 111
CyA 65
FAC 7.4
TAC 7.4
CH 329

The LaMotte ColorQ:

pH 7.8
Alk 160
CyA 46
FAC 5.71
TAC 6.21
CH 484

Just seems like there are pretty big disparities for the same water sample with different methods.

I am just getting into the TFP methods, and from what I gather after reading all the beginner posts, y'all basically only use liquid chlorine? No tabs, no feeder, just liquid chlorine. Where do you store it? And do you use pool store chlorine at 10-12%, or just Clorox? Seems like if all I used was unstabilized liquid chlorine, I would have to test daily and add chlorine daily as well. What am I missing?

The disparity between your testing is pretty laughable; really shows why drop-based testing is the gold-standard. If you can do the test the same way, and count, you can arrive at fairly precise, repeatable results.

Yes, TFP advocates for the use of liquid chlorine or salt water chlorine generators, as neither method adds potentially unwanted other chemicals (CYA, CH, Copper, etc).

Testing is very easy; most tests are no more than weekly.

You have been a member since 2014?
Yes, just have never had a problem with water chemistry until the freeze we had in Texas this February. That resulted in a total drain, complete pad replacement (pump, heater, side booster pump, every valve, basically the only thing saved was the filter). Been struggling ever since. In the past, all I did was add chlorine every week.

The disparity between your testing is pretty laughable; really shows why drop-based testing is the gold-standard. If you can do the test the same way, and count, you can arrive at fairly precise, repeatable results.

Yes, TFP advocates for the use of liquid chlorine or salt water chlorine generators, as neither method adds potentially unwanted other chemicals (CYA, CH, Copper, etc).

Testing is very easy; most tests are no more than weekly.
So you basically test and add chlorine daily? Really don't want to add chlorine daily, so two questions, anybody have sandstone based coping. We call it Oklahoma stone here in DFW. I am worried switching to salt water would erode the coping faster. Otherwise, is there a liquid chlorine delivery system available? I read about HASA, but the reviews are pretty sketchy.

So you basically test and add chlorine daily? Really don't want to add chlorine daily, so two questions, anybody have sandstone based coping. We call it Oklahoma stone here in DFW. I am worried switching to salt water would erode the coping faster. Otherwise, is there a liquid chlorine delivery system available? I read about HASA, but the reviews are pretty sketchy.
Yes, we have that coping. Had salt since June 1, but some pieces of the coping had started flaking off even before that. I'm waiting for my local pool store to get sealer in stock, and I'm going to seal and see if that stops the problem...which again, existed even before the 3600ppm of salt. BTW, Stenner is a well known mfr of pumps for chlorine and for acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, we have that coping. Had salt since June 1, but some pieces of the coping had started flaking off even before that. I'm waiting for my local pool store to get sealer in stock, and I'm going to seal and see if that stops the problem...which again, existed even before the 3600ppm of salt. BTW, Stenner is a well known mfr of pumps for chlorine and for acid.
Looks very similar to mine. Sandstone like? Do you really need a special sealer from the pool store? I have used Stonetech/Laticrete on mine since it was redone in 2013. Also used it for a shower remodel. Indoors it lasted 3 years, I resealed the shower because I had some left over from doing the coping again. I have not had any issues with flaking, other than a tiny bit that came off due to moisture expansion during the freeze in Feb.

A salt pool is only a few hundred PPM above a normal tab pool. It’s not better or worse for stone or equipment - anyone telling you otherwise has an agenda.
My pool is surrounded by a giant flagstone area; it falls apart just like every other flagstone I’ve ever had but is no different by pool than anywhere else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.