Tent caterpillar infestation

Jul 6, 2015
Sault ste Marie, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi there. This year we have the peak of the ten year cycle for tent caterpillars. They are heading into the pool in droves faster than I can skim them out. Is there any way to keep them from entering the pool? Maybe something to spray around the pool deck? Any ideas would be appreciated. It is truly disgusting ?

Put some hairnets in your skimmers and crank-up the RPM's...Change hairnets as need and toss away...I bought 200 h-nets for $12.00 I change them every 4-7 days depending on the time of year.

There are no sprays, your best bet to do to something proactively to prevent the female from laying eggs on your vegetation. I would contact my county extension agent and ask for recommendations. You can also seek advice from your local [plant] nurseries to determine if they have learned of any solutions over time. I am sure you are not the only one w this seasonal problem - good luck and keep us posted

If I were in your shoes, I'd try using garden grade (not pool filter kind) diatomaceous earth (DE) as a barrier on the ground as a barrier around the pool deck. This would help unless they are falling in off an overhanging tree?

DE is a good natural barrier for many crawling insects but it also harms "the good" insects in a garden.

Quoting Kf: "Preventative strategies are not really an option in our case. We live in the country surrounded by wooded areas."

I live in city but have 100 acres in the country for the last 24 yrs. There are things you can do, but w results based the extend that the problem has progressed.

There are certain small-flying insects that you can buy in egg-form. you place them on leaves of the primary host of the "pest" in question, but has to be at the right time. The insects you bought will hatch, and if the eggs or sm larvae of the pest in question are around, your guys lay eggs in their bodies and that's it...the more pests you have, the more your guys to work. If your pests are not around when your guys are ready to fight, they will either move on or die if no other food around; certain types of nectar/pollen feed these guys too.

With the pests already in the peak stage of their progression, you are in damage control mode. However, next spring/summer buy these guys: Trichogramma Wasps
If you time it right, they will destroy all caterpillar larvae around... Here's a link that everyone should have:

Buy Beneficial Insects Online | Planet Natural scroll down for the Tri-wasps - they work !!!!

Finally, the other option is to hire an exterminator w a truck that has a 500gal tank and 10hp engine and long hose. Any Pyrethroid based product will kill the caterpillars and do the least damage to anything else. A good sprayer can get 50ft in the air and cover all your local trees...do so w little to no winds, protect all waterways and take up all pet foods/water.. Also spray only when no rain is predicted for 2-4 days. Have the exterminator add a good surfactant to the liquid so it will stick to the trees better. If you go this route, you're going to see 1000's of dead ones in the next 1-36 hrs, then it will start to tail off...good luck.

Hi there. This year we have the peak of the ten year cycle for tent caterpillars. They are heading into the pool in droves faster than I can skim them out. Is there any way to keep them from entering the pool? Maybe something to spray around the pool deck? Any ideas would be appreciated. It is truly disgusting ��

Have you considered calling Orkin or a local pest control professional?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.