lattedah

Oct 31, 2010
SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Our 9 month old boxer is enjoying our pool more than I am comfortable with. She uses it as her water dish and she likes to stand with her front paws on the ledge in order to survey her domain and to see my daughter's cat on the opposite side of the pool. The other night the cat was laying next to the pool when the boxer runs by and scares the cat. Cat overestimates the jump to the pool ledge and falls in the pool and came shooting right back out. :oops:

I have been looking at fencing but do not want anything permanent because the boxer belongs to my daughter who will be moving out in a couple years when she finishes school. There is only 25" of pool above ground so I am thinking of using the 42" high pen to protect the pool from the boxer. One pen is 16ft long and I would need 4 of them to close off all areas the boxer can access the pool. 64 ft of fencing for $225 seems like a great price compared to other options I have seen for sturdy temporary fencing. I am not sure I will like the look but was thinking of putting the fencing close to the pool with padding between the ledge support edge that would touch the fence. Also, with the fence close to the pool maintaining the yard would be easier than setting the fencing 2 to 3 feet away from the pool but there might be some issues with that I have not thought of yet. If the fence close to the pool isn't safety wise and/or I don't like the look I will have enough fencing to move it back 2 ft or I could buy 1 more more pen to get me 8 ft away from the front area of the pool if need be. I will be connecting the fencing to the bonding wire around the pool. Also, the pool is swg so I plan on spraying a couple coats of rustoleum before installing the fence.

Will this work or am I thinking way outside the box of sanity and safety ?

(8 years ago, I purchased the same metal dog exercise pen to corral 4 puppies, it was very sturdy with stakes every 24" and it has held up well enough that we now use it along our privacy fence to keep our neighbor's rabbits from getting in the yard under the privacy fence and between the slats.)

Attachments

• 334060374_2003641746647847_2049235131621078909_n.jpg
    334060374_2003641746647847_2049235131621078909_n.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 91bAn1S2d6L._AC_SX466_.jpg
    91bAn1S2d6L._AC_SX466_.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 32
Will this work or am I thinking way outside the box of sanity and safety ?
I'm sire there are several way to go about this depending on your budget, aesthetics, and the aggressiveness (or tenacity) of the boxer. We have six dogs large and small I am always trying address their behavior. So I am forced to manipulate areas around the yard or pool. Around our pool I created a country-rustic barrier with wood posts and basic 48" fencing from HD. It's a more permanent/ sturdy barrier to separate the pool from pets and visitors. All around my yard I am always using those 4' metal posts/stakes you hammer into the ground to attached wire fencing to - again from HD. Not chain link, but that lighter stuff that is vinyl coated. I'll try to post an example below. Once installed, that stuff seems to deter the fur kinds from getting into an area I want to keep them out of.

Of course you certainly could buy pre-fa products as you noted. Cost and looks are something you have to decide upon.

Reactions: lattedah
full

full

Reactions: Newdude
Reactions: Newdude
For my temporary areas that need separation or containment, I use this stuff all the time. It comes in various sizes and lengths and you can manipulate easily to fit your needs. May not always be the cleanest look, but gets the job done.

Then I use these to secure the fencing.

Reactions: LSE08
We all know how well cats can jump so I am sure the cat might jump over the fence and end up in the pool. As such I would leave a bit of room for them to get back out. You can also get a "scamper ramp" like this:

It would be easy enough to flip out of the water while you are in the pool.

We all know how well cats can jump so I am sure the cat might jump over the fence and end up in the pool. As such I would leave a bit of room for them to get back out. You can also get a "scamper ramp" like this:

It would be easy enough to flip out of the water while you are in the pool.
Thank you. I will have to get a scamper mat

Reactions: kimkats
The fence is set 25” away from the pool and is pretty sturdy. I used 4 of the 42” H x 62’ L dog fence - regular price was $62 each but I was lucky and got them on sale for $43 each. I used 18 of the 5ft posts. Total cost for fencing and posts was $316. I already had black wire to attach the fence to the posts. I have 3 gates for easier access to the pool. Our backyard has a 6ft privacy fence which meets the county and insurance requirements so I was not required to make the fencing around the pool 48” high and the fence is tall enough to keep our dog away from the pool and deck.
I would have liked the fence a little further from the pool but the concrete patio off the garage and sprinkler system prevented that.
For a pretty sturdy, temporary fence I am happy with the results.

4799CC6F-A4B2-42D2-8407-13BF058967F4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude and kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.