Taylor test kit is on my doorstep

Yes. Normally the strongest you can get in bleach is 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. 'Shock' is normally 10% or 12.5% sodium hypochlorite.

Use whatever is the most economical for the amount of sodium hypochlorite you are buying.

Take care.
'

Almost sunset so the pic isn't that good, but is this what they mean by sparkling water?
7834aae41514445147264f8c05456dac.jpg

Now it is time to work on the PH and TA. Need to get both down. I have a link for you:

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

It is a process.....bring the PH down to 7.2 using muratic acid, Turn the return up so it rolls the water good (the kids will love this LOL), when the PH hits 7.8, push it back down to 7.2. Do this over and over until the TA gets to 80 the let me know and I will give you the next step....watching the levels! EASY part LOL

Kim:kim:

I added the acid this morning to lower my PH. Then pointed the return upward as suggested. Hopefully it doesn't change too much while I am at work today. It will be about 8 hours before I can check it again.

I also added CYA yesterday. I rigged a sock on a string so it hung in front of the return. It only took about 3 hours and the sock was empty. I was at 30, (actually below) and my goal was 50. I am up to 40 this morning. Looking forward to seeing the difference once I get to 50. I am burning through anywhere from 5-7ppm of FC a day. I am happy to see that I have had zero CC since the Slam finished.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PH had risen back up to 7.6 and TA had dropped by 10 to 120 in 8 hours. Added more acid to bring PH back down to 7 and keep aerating.

Maybe I am getting slightly addicted to this super clean pool :). Still need to get some heat in it.... 78 degrees... Burr

552ff1c2bdda287f7d2e46391125bfcd.jpg

So yesterday I goofed up my timer and the pool pump didn't run all day, other than a couple hours. I did add acid to lower the PH to 7. After aerating today PH is back to 7.8 and TA dropped another 10 to 110. I think :)

So here is my question on the TA test (Taylor 2006 kit if it makes a dif)

on the 10th drop, the green was gone and it looked clear. On the 11th drop it turned red... Well pink if you ask me, but the green was gone and the only visible color was red. So my TA is 110, right?

And CYA... This one is still a hard test for me. the bubbles make it hard to focus on the dot, but then it seems like as I add a little, the dot disappears for a second, then comes right back... so I add more... Do I just keep going until it disappears and doesn't come back after a second or two?

TA-the color will "flash" but keep going until it "holds" the change in color (it will be red-ish) once it hold the color add one more drop BUT do not it IF the color does not change to red-er

CYA-GLANCE not look for the dot. Pour to the first line (100) GLANCE in. If you still see the dot with a GLANCE pour to the next line. Keep doing this until you do not see the dot with a GLANCE. If you LOOK for the dot you will end up seeing it.

Let me know if this helps. There are videos if you want to look them up.

So on TA, I have noticed the color will change, then come back as you add a drop. So on drop 9 there was still a green tint. Drop 10 no green, no red, just clear. On 11 it switched to red. Are you saying I keep good night until it stops getting redder?

You want red-ish and for it to stay red-ish. I would have called it on drop 11. You are doing a great job! Listen to your gut and keep asking questions! After a while YOU will be answering questions here at TFP!!!

:hug:

Now it is time to work on the PH and TA. Need to get both down. I have a link for you:

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Do this over and over until the TA gets to 80 the let me know and I will give you the next step....watching the levels! EASY part LOL

In four days TA has dropped from 130 - 100. It was probably closer to 90 this morning... Hoping by tomorrow after work it is at 80 where you suggested. My FC is holding much better now that I got some cya and things have settled down after the slamm. I only had to add 14oz of bleech last night :)

Love it! Kind of neat when it does what it is supposed to huh?

Once you get to our goal of 80 is when a good log will come into the picture. Watch your PH and see what it does over a weeks time. Make note of big weather like rain, wind, HOT sun, all day clouds, etc. What we are looking for is your PH staying level for the most part. We will revisit after the weeks is up and see if your pool is happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.