Taylor test kit is on my doorstep

Jun 22, 2013
So today I run home to start testing. I have read and watched the videos...

But what order should I do the tests in, or does it matter? I will post results later in the afternoon, cause I am sure I will need assistance... Thanks in advance!

Does not matter. Be prepared to practice some. Your first run through the process may seem long. I do my regular tests (FC and pH) in about 3 minutes now. Only do the others every week to a month,

Good Luck!

I mix up the CYA test and let it sit while I do the others.

I do mine in this order as it is what I am used to seeing here on the boards.

FC
CC
PH
TA
Ch
CYA

I will be on the look out for you results! Have fun!

Kim:kim:

Is this possible?

FC .3
CC .3
CYA 0
No. Depending on the sample size, the FC & CC readings will be multiples of .2 or .5. .3 isn't possible. Check your arithmetic.

The CYA might be higher than that but below the threshold to measure it. But if this is a fresh fillup and you haven't added any, there won't be any. It doesn't occur in nature.

I did the smaller sample size, which each said multiply by .2... Oh poop, it was 3 drop on each one.... So .6 on both....

I am heading home soon an will retest and give the full story.... It is a crystal clear pool that I just uncovered Thursday, and added 2 1/2 gal of 20% bleach, over several days and 3lbs of CYA, just cause I assumed it had none in it. New pump filter has run non stop for 3 days and turns the entire pool in 3 hours....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, here we go.... This is what I got tonight after I got home.

FC. .4
CC. .2
PH. 7.7
TA. 100
CH ??? Didn't have the stuff for it
CYA. 0, ut was 75% cloudy vs 50% earlier in the day...

It does seem the CYA I added a few days ago is still dissolving...

I.added the appropriate amount of bleach (pool Calculator) and retested 30 min later....

FC was 3.6
CC was 1.4

FYI - you cannot purchase 20% bleach from normal sources. So be sure you know what strength bleach you are using when you put your numbers in to PoolMath.

Take care.

I did the smaller sample size, which each said multiply by .2... Oh poop, it was 3 drop on each one.... So .6 on both........

On my Kit the "smaller" sample size is the 10ml sample and it says to multiply by 0.5. It's the 25ml bigger sample size that you multiply by 0.2.....just want to double check you are still multiplying correctly. By the way you worded your response, it seems like you should be multiplying by 0.5 so your FC would be 1.5. You'll get the hang of it!! [emoji4]

I used the cylinder that came with the speed stir, filled to 25ml :) I may not have worded my response very well, it was late and I had just got home from class. College at 46 years old has that effect on you...lol

- - - Updated - - -

This mornings numbers:
FC 3.8
CC 1.2
PH 7.6
TA 120
CYA 80 (cylinder was right at full when dot wasnt visible)

Soo maybe I was off on the amount of CYA I added to the pool as it continues to climb. I noticed the recommended level for chlorine increase as the CYA does, so now I am not sure what to do. I really don't want to have to remove water from the pool again. I had to drain off 1' of water last weekend when I installed the new filter, pump and in wall skimmer.

Any recommendations on what I should do next as far as balancing the water?

This morning I was at:

FC 3.6
CC 1.2
PH 7.6
TA 120
CYA 80 (yesterday I could still see the dot when it was full. Today it disappeared right when the cylinder was full.)

I plan to retest everything this evening and make sure I am getting the tests correct. I am confident in all of them but the CYA.

I did add 3-4lbs of CYA on Friday, before I had my kit to test. The cover came off the pool on Thursday, and I had never ever before added CYA, so I assumed it would be 0.

I will post this evenings test and see where to go from there. I appreciate suggestions.

Dennis

You can manage a pool with CYA of 80. The only real extra cost is initially getting to your FC level or if you need to SLAM. Your daily additions won't be any more than lower CYA. So don't worry too much about overshooting it, but you do need to get FC level up ASAP. Get it to target range of 9-11.

Well if you used pucks or dichlor "shock" powder last season, there was probably some CYA left in the water. CYA of 80 is a bit high, to shock you need to hit a FC of 31. Unfortunately you are probably going to need to drain some to lower CYA. Or spend a lot more on bleach to reach and maintain shock level for a SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

This doesn't make sense. The graduations are reversed. If the view tube is full, CYA is very low. If the dot disappears with only a little bit of water, CYA is high. You can't have the viewtube full and read 80.

What Richard said - Check out this page for a better understanding of how to test CYA. https://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=36

You fill the tube and stop when the dot disappears. This should be done on a sunny day with the sun at your back and the tube at waist level. If you fill it all the way up and still see the dot, you have low or no CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.