Taylor Sodium Chloride test kit

edibower

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Phoenix,AZ
Quick question. I am having a SWCG being installed in week and half. I just received the Taylor Sodium Chloride test kit for water salt content. For the heck of it I did a test with our current water......which is clear as a bell. Followed the instructions and ended up putting in 53 drops of 0718 Silver Nitrate Reagent to get the salmon color which was instructed....which calculates out to 10,600 ppm.....53 drops X 200.....is that possible or am I doing something wrong in the testing procedures....since from what I have been reading with a SWCG you want between 3000 and 4000 ppm depending on the manufacturer......10ml line for the water and 1 drop of 0630 Chromate.......Our fill water is from a water softener which I know has some salt in it. Thanks

Our fill water is from a water softener which I know has some salt in it. Thanks
Did you test the pool or the fill water ?

Run the test again and make sure to use 10ml. The instructions kinda allude to using 25ml and that makes the result 2.5x higher than it is. Ask me how I know.

If it's still ridiculously high, clean and swap tips with the K2006 bottles. Maybe the tips are bad and the swap gives a likelier result.

Quick question. I am having a SWCG being installed in week and half. I just received the Taylor Sodium Chloride test kit for water salt content. For the heck of it I did a test with our current water......which is clear as a bell. Followed the instructions and ended up putting in 53 drops of 0718 Silver Nitrate Reagent to get the salmon color which was instructed....which calculates out to 10,600 ppm.....53 drops X 200.....is that possible or am I doing something wrong in the testing procedures....since from what I have been reading with a SWCG you want between 3000 and 4000 ppm depending on the manufacturer......10ml line for the water and 1 drop of 0630 Chromate.......Our fill water is from a water softener which I know has some salt in it. Thanks
@Newdude is spot on with the testing error potentials.

Were you using your speed stir? Do you chlorinate with liquid chlorine? Do you lose a lot of water annually through splash out, overflow, backwash, vacuum to waste or pumping out? If you are a long time liquid chlorine user, and don't lose water through other means than evaporation, it is possible.

How have you been chlorinating until now? With very little rain and lots of evaporation, after many years it may be possible.

First newdude......yes used the 10 ml line....no havent tested the fill water but will do so....
Poolstored......yes used speedstir.....only use liquid chlorine......5+ years of liquid chlorine and never had to drain the pool......no splashout.....only backwash after vaccuming.....no vaccum to waste or pump out

Most people start tasting salt around 3k. 10k would taste as salty as Campbells chicken soup.

I'll double down on the tips being clogged/defective.

First newdude......yes used the 10 ml line....no havent tested the fill water but will do so....
Poolstored......yes used speedstir.....only use liquid chlorine......5+ years of liquid chlorine and never had to drain the pool......no splashout.....only backwash after vaccuming.....no vaccum to waste or pump out
Then, if results don't change with @Newdude s recommendations, and if your reagents are new, I vote: Accurate. Oh, and...

Our fill water is from a water softener which I know has some salt in it.
Water softeners do not add salt...

Just tested the pool water again.......this time it came out at 8400 ppm........42 drops used.......the tips dont seem to be clogged and the kit is brand new , since I have had that problem in the past with some reagents......might get the test strips and compare results......my last question then would be if the 8400 is accurate is it ok to run the SWCG with that kind of a ppm count, if not how do you get the ppm down......drain some water out of the pool? and then refill

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just tested the pool water again.......this time it came out at 8400 ppm........42 drops used.......the tips dont seem to be clogged and the kit is brand new , since I have had that problem in the past with some reagents......might get the test strips and compare results......my last question then would be if the 8400 is accurate is it ok to run the SWCG with that kind of a ppm count, if not how do you get the ppm down......drain some water out of the pool? and then refill
Yep! Best to do the no drain exchange...

What SWCG? Please add to your signature.

All SWCG in the US will error out and not run at that level of salinity.

Is the pool water very salty to the taste?

Reactions: Newdude
400ppm NaCl reading on tap water is bad. Your softener should be going through a rinse and backwash step after brine regeneration to ensure that the resin bed is cleared of all brine in the tank. Your salinity after softening should be no higher than the input water from the street. You should measure your water before and after the softener to see if there is a big difference. If so, then your water softener needs to be serviced or replaced as it is not functioning properly.

As a note - most municipal water suppliers aim for a chloride (Cl-) ion concentration of 50ppm or less to avoid plumbing problems. In fact, most municipal sources will be a lot lower than 50ppm.

Reactions: Mdragger88
just used the test strips and it came in at 7000 ppm.........so I will drain and refill
400ppm NaCl reading on tap water is bad. Your softener should be going through a rinse and backwash step after brine regeneration to ensure that the resin bed is cleared of all brine in the tank. Your salinity after softening should be no higher than the input water from the street. You should measure your water before and after the softener to see if there is a big difference. If so, then your water softener needs to be serviced or replaced as it is not functioning properly.

As a note - most municipal water suppliers aim for a chloride (Cl-) ion concentration of 50ppm or less to avoid plumbing problems. In fact, most municipal sources will be a lot lower than 50ppm.
Tested the water from the street before going to the softener and reads 400 ppm also.....so the water softener is ok, it is serviced every year.....its a city of Phoenix issue......thats why we have a RO system in the house

What SWCG? Please add to your signature.

All SWCG in the US will error out and not run at that level of salinity.

Is the pool water very salty to the taste?
yes it is.....so I think between the Taylor and strip tests, they are both high.......so as I stated will have to do a drain and refill to get ppm down before SWCG is installed......

forgot to add to mknauss question.......we are installing a Hayward Aquarite 40k system
Great. Please add to the signature. You do not want the salinity above 3200 ppm for that system. High salinity will damage the control board.

I would take a 50/50 pool to distilled water and test that. Will help guide you on how much water you need to replace.

Great. Please add to the signature. You do not want the salinity above 3200 ppm for that system. High salinity will damage the control board.

I would take a 50/50 pool to distilled water and test that. Will help guide you on how much water you need to replace.
would RO water work since we have an RO system in the house or should I use strictly distilled water for the 50/50 test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.