Taylor sample sizer. Unnecessary and love it

Here's another useful Taylor gadget that I use all the time and recommend. You must use with their DPD vial but I refilled with TFP kit DPD powder.

I tried that but it seemed to dispense between 3 and 4 dippers' worth of powder -- much more than is necessary even for a 25ml sample size, let alone a 10ml size. But maybe mine was defective somehow.

I'd probably use it if it dispensed no more than 2 dippers per dose. Have you measured your dispenser's dose size?

Last edited:
I got a sample sizer and love it in concept.

But this really weird thing happens. I consistently get lower FC readings than when I manually tweak the level to the 10ml mark.

I've done hundreds of tests measuring manually. No problems with consistency. I swear the water level is the same both ways. Everything else is exactly the same (e.g. the speed-stir). But the sample sizer test is still about 1.5 ppm lower every time. Crazy!

If you think about it, that is not really a bad problem to have. It means the FC level in the pool is higher than your tests. It would be worse if the results were in reverse where the pool water has an FC level lower than what your test shows.

Reactions: KJB1 and Newdude
I tried that but it seemed to dispense between 3 and 4 dippers' worth of powder
I saw that with the Amazon reviews as well. The dispenser drops more than just the one scoop, and on top of that, the hole at the top is open and if you leave the cap on, the vial of powder is no longer sealed. So you have to open your sealed powder, put the dispenser on, drop more powder than necessary, take the cap off, re-seal the container. A lot of time for a "time saving" tool. Sorry, not trying to knock it, I love all the gadgets for testing... I have multiple vials and pill magnets, medicine dispensers for water filling, speed stir, PH meter, etc., just this one isn't quite the magic I thought it was.

I’ve always used a Leslie’s water sample bottle with nozzle on it. I like to stare at the Leslie’s label on the bottle while testing. it makes me feel better about myself!!!!!

This. The free water bottle sampler from Leslie's works amazing, best thing I've gotten from there!

It's really easy to just fill it up once from the pool and then get just the right amount into each test. I tried just dipping the tests into the pool and it was always off, I tried using a dropper and that ended up being a pain, but the Leslie's container makes it so easy.

Reactions: jdlangley1
This. The free water bottle sampler from Leslie's works amazing, best thing I've gotten from there!

It's really easy to just fill it up once from the pool and then get just the right amount into each test. I tried just dipping the tests into the pool and it was always off, I tried using a dropper and that ended up being a pain, but the Leslie's container makes it so easy.
Yep and when the water is freezing cold, you only have to get your arm wet once!!!

I was using a condiment squeeze bottle. Good for winter time but I like the sizer being consistent and quick. Pet peeve I guess trying to get the water to line up exactly multiple times.

Yep and when the water is freezing cold, you only have to get your arm wet once!!!
One of the best pieces of advice I ever read on TFP: get a long piece of skinny pvc, plug it with your thumb, get your water sample from the appropriate depth, release your thumb to get the water, plug it again. I use that method to fill my measuring cup then run all my samples Inside. Warm and dry!

I also use the Unit Dose Dispenser. I know it dispenses more powder than required but the convenience (for me) offsets that issue. I measured it once compared to the small spoon & the difference wasn't as much as I'd expected but it's been a long time since I've duplicated that comparison test.

A couple of things I do with the Unit Dose Dispenser that may help those that choose to get one:

As per the Dispenser's instructions, I clean mine with water, then IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol). I use the "Grocery Store" IPA concentration type.

I usually clean the Dispenser every 3 weeks during the heavy-usages months (May-Oct in Dallas Tx for me), then every 4 weeks in the Fall & Winter months. This keeps the Dispenser Knob from gathering old powder in the "ball" valve mechanism & well as prevents powder crust build-up at the top of the Dispenser.

I use a Rubber Stopper 6-8mm size to plug the top of the Dispenser instead of removing the Dispenser from the Taylor powder container. That eliminates the need to remove it & screw on the top cap. The opening of the Dispenser is about 7 mm diameter.

The Stopper has worked ok for me as I haven't seen the powder get grey / clump up, etc since switching to the Stopper to seal the Dispenser.

Here's the Rubber Stopper vendor info that I used to buy some in case anyone's interested in using them :

Vendor : Eisco

Part # : CH0319ANUP

Amazon Link : 10PK Neoprene Stoppers, Solid - Blue - Size: 6mm Bottom, 8mm Top, 16mm Length - Suitable for use with Petroleum, Oils, Inorganic Acids and Bases - Eisco Labs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Reactions: gingrbredman
One of the best pieces of advice I ever read on TFP: get a long piece of skinny pvc, plug it with your thumb, get your water sample from the appropriate depth, release your thumb to get the water, plug it again. I use that method to fill my measuring cup then run all my samples Inside. Warm and dry!
(y) I also consider this tip to be one of the best ones I've used from this forum. I marked my PVC Pipe with a large black Sharpie marker at the 1-foot point to give me a visual mark of the pipe's depth into the pool water.

Reactions: gingrbredman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I re-tested my Unit Dose Dispenser, comparing the difference with the Taylor Blue Dipper Spoon.

My UDD dispensed about 2 Dipper Spoons of powder, with one spoon with a little amount of "heaping" spoon content. The other spoon was level in content.

If I recall as it's been several years since I first tested the difference, it's about the same as my initial test results.

I have 2 UDD's since I bought a 2nd one to see if it wasn't suseptible to powder "leak-by", dispensing a small amount of powder before the Dispensing Handle is rotated.

Both UDD's have a small leak-by. The only time either one worked perfectly was when one of them was new right out of the package. Then it began leaking by a small amount of powder at each subsequent use.

That said, for me, my take on the UDD is positive although it does use a little more powder than 2 Dipper Spoonfuls. The convenienve for me outweighs that issue.

Tips for use:

When I'm using my UDD, I do this :

- Actuate the Handle a couple of times while tapping the side with my finger with the UDD upright before dispensing the powder.

- Turn the UDD upside down over the Taylor Test Vial.

- Rotate the Handle once to fill the powder chamber inside the UDD.

- Tap the side of the UDD a couple of times with my finger.

- Rotate the Handle & dispense the powder into the Vial. I tap the side again a couple of times.

- After dispensing is complete, I rotate the Handle a couple of times tapping the side to disperse any powder granules that may remain in the chamber or Handle shaft area.

- Clean the UDD frequently with water & IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) "grocery store" ~70% strength.

I've found that I can leave the UDD attached to the powder container without adverse effects if I seal the top of the UDD with a rubber Stopper (see my previous post for info).

I've noticed that when I fill the 9198 vial and then watch the water line as I pour water out, if I stop pouring when the water line touches the edge of the bottom of the vial, with some practice it is often exactly 25ml. I don't know if they designed it that way or if it is purely a coincidence. I'm not perfect at it, but I'm getting better and better to land right on 25ml by keeping my eye on this while pouring out the excess water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.