Taylor K-2006 Combined Clorine and CYA level questions for Intex Ultra Frame w/SWG

The pump needs to run for at lest 30 minutes before you test ... I am not sure if your pump runs without the SWG or not.

Yes wait a week to retest the CYA.

Your TA is fine.

thank you

Ahh, I missed about needed to run the pump 30 minutes before each test (it worked out this time as the SWG shutdown for the day at 11AM and I started testing 45 minutes later. EDIT: Pump needs to be running for at least 30 minutes before the test per jblizzle's post below.

So to clarify, for all testing, run the pump for any hour or two and test 30 minutes after I turn it off?

This Intex SWG/Sand Filter Pump can run the Filter Pump without running the SWG...

In regards to CYA, I didn't put in the Pool Math recommended 19oz, I only put in 10oz this time around.. I would think it's safe to assume I'll need more anyways....?

I think I only have enough reagent to test CYA 3 more times.

No. The pump needs to be running for at least 30 minute before you test ... it should still be on (or just shut off) when you test.

You do likely need more and add it if you have not added any other form of stabilizer.

UPDATE:

Last week I added an additional 8oz of Cyanuric Acid in a sock.

Filter Pump running for 3-4 hours before test, SWG on (with pump also on) for an additional 3 hours before this.

Water Temp: 72
CYA: 55
pH: 7.5
FC: 14.5ppm (using 10ml, 29 drops)
CC: 0ppm
TA: 100ppm (10 drops)

It appears my CYA is unchanged from my 6/11/2014 test even though I added an additional 8oz of Cyanuric Acid last week (Pool Math said 9 more oz). It was all dissolved in the sock, I even squeezed it every other day to help it along. Not sure what to make of that.

My pH is down a bit but good at 7.5.

More concerning is my FC, now at 14.5ppm. I've been running the SWG 3 hours a day (1 hour less than the manufacturer's recommends for this pool).

Question 1: Should we stay out of the pool with these FC Levels? The pool only has had one day use by me (very limited) this year.

Question 2: Should I not run the SWG at all over the next few days? I can just run the filter pump without enabling the SWG.

My TA has increased a bit, now at 100ppm. Question 3: Is this still ok?

I also checked with the hth 6-way test and everything lined up with Taylor's results, including the high FC. The htc was at the last (dark purple) color for FC, showing 10+.

You are still well below the recommended shock level for your current CYA, so yes, safe to swim. See http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

If you can turn down the SWG to a lower setting, try that. But do leave it off for a day to see how much the FC drops. You'll have to play with run time and settings for a bit to get it dialed in for your pool usage.

The HTH kit uses Taylor reagents, so really no surprise they matched your K-2006.

thank you for that link to the shock table...

This particular Intex SWG unit is a Sand Filter Pump / SWG / Copper single unit. You can have the Filter Pump on only (SWG disabled) or set the SWG from 1 to 12 hours and it will repeat process 24 hours later (sleeping in between).

Since I unplugged the copper option this year, I'm hoping that hasn't thrown the SWG off in some way, though I have not read any negative posts from those who have unplugged their copper on the Intex units as well.

I won't run the SWG tomorrow or the next day. I'll retest and perhaps just start running the SWG for 1 hour a day starting in three days.

On another note, I have a solar cover and the standard cover that's been on the pool pretty much constantly, perhaps the FC is high from this (no sun to break down the FC and the CYA being 55) and the fact I was running the SWG everyday for 3 hours.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.