St George, UT
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The other day, our neighbors invited us to experience their beautiful new salt water pool. By request of the PB, they are using a professional outfit to maintain the pool for the first year.

I understand that the salinity of a salt water pool is a fraction of that of ocean water, in fact it is closer to that of tears.

however, while in the pool, I could definitely taste the salt. Is that expected for a properly balanced salt water pool? The pool is approximately 15000 gallons, with an IC 40 SWCG.

I cannot taste ours. I keep the salinity right at 3000 ppm.

I suspect a pool service probably keeps it much higher. No need to, but they are not the brightest when it comes to pool water chemistry.

Not everyone has the same taste and smell sensitivity. About 25% are very sensitive (they make great wine tasters), about half are average, and 25% have lower than average sensitivity of smell and taste.

Plus for all you know the neighbor was at 4500. I'm sure you've seen plenty in your few months here about all the horror stories when 'the professionals' maintain the pool.

Reactions: stevo777
Yes thanks. Doesn’t have an impact at all on our plans. Now that the demolition of our courtyard is happening, we can really visualize what it will look like, and are really looking forward to completing the project.

Stevo,

I'm about like everybody else here. You can kind of tell there's salt in it but I think it's a little more tolerable than a mouthful of non salt pools. I wouldn't want to drink either. Interesting thing about salt content of water is that for drinking water anything over 1000 ppm is considered not potable. That would rule out most pools salt or not. When we were living aboard our blue water sailboat I found my wife's threshold for taste was waaay lower than mine. We made all our water from a solar powered RO unit. When the inlet filters got plugged the unit would start to let more salt through. My wife would tell me to clean the filters anytime the water got much over 200 ppm. I could barely taste any at 400 ppm. I had a tester but never needed it. Fast forward 7 years to now and she won't ever let me build a pool unless it's a salt pool. She loves the feel of the water and doesn't care that it tastes slightly salty... probably more than you ever wanted to know about salt pool water taste so I'll stop now.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have my pool at 2800-3100 ppm salinity. I can taste "something" when I first get in, first mouthful of water. After that, nothing.

Reactions: mnmpizza
Just converted my plumbing to SWG. Intend to convert in the spring from LC to SWG. As an exercise, I mixed up a 1000ppm, 2000ppm and 3000ppm jugs of water (2.5g, 5g and 7.5 g / L). I can taste it at 1000ppm, maybe not discernable vs. borates, but it is there. Certainly at 2K and 3K, it is salty to me. Will be interesting to see what a full pool is like and if I, or others, tell a difference.

Reactions: newdude
I don’t generally gulp the water but if my face is wet & i lick my lips i can tell it’s there when i get above 3000 ppm. When i ran between 2600& 2900 for the intex units it was hardly noticeable in the pool.
My new contraption requires at least 3200 ppm (preferably more). In the hot tub I usually start off around 3000 or so since it gets diluted quickly & it’s always been noticeable to me. Definitely nothing like a mouth full of ocean though 🤢

Heard it a half dozen times already in this thread. Sensitivity to salt depends on genetics but also your individual salt levels day-to-day. Next to water it's the most important nutrient that we cannot produce and will quickly die without. The body has a reward mechanism built in, salt tastes saltier when you're low on salt. When you've had enough, it generally disappears. The kidneys take care of the rest.

Anecdotally: for years I greatly limited my salt intake because that's what doctors tell everyone to do. I found myself continually dehydrated even when I was drinking upwards of 2 gallons of water a day. The endocrinologist told me to eat more salt. I noticed the biggest difference before & after upping my salt intake while visiting my in-laws on Maui. Before, we'd go swim in the ocean and I'd be spitting and gagging and my eyes and skin were burning with the salt. Afterwards, it was NBD. I could taste the salt but it wasn't that whole body shudder inducing experience like before.

Reactions: Mdragger88
FWIW, I can taste the salt this year in my LC pool, I got curious and don't have a salt test kit so ##### warning if you are faint of heart STOP reading #### I went to the pool store and they said I have ~1900 ppm salt - they were confused and said "I wonder where it came from" a couple of times. I buy LC from them often and there is always a little salt in the bottom of the totes/carriers.

• Wow
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
so ##### warning if you are faint of heart STOP reading #### I went to the pool store and they said I have ~1900 ppm salt
:laughblue:
they aren’t terrible for salt. +\- 500 ish, so they will be close enough to get an idea if you have none.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.