Tarp cover

loomer

Jun 3, 2016
Marlton/NJ
So when I closed my pool this past September I had the pool cover pretty well situated, sitting on the water that was in the pool. The water level was high enough where the tarp was laying nice and flat across the pool. I had it so there was some tarp that went down the walls, and then went flat on the water, making close to a 90 degree angle where the wall met the water level under the tarp. We have trees around the pool, so I did my best to clear the leaves off the tarp as they fell, and every now and then would pump some water off the tarp. Now however, the weight of whatever water is on the tarp, along with some leaves has completely made the tarp weighed down, angling towards the middle of the pool. One of the things that is bothering me, is that I feel that I had the water level much higher when we closed than it now appears to be, so I am not sure where this water is going? I am concerned that if things continue going the way they are, that the cover will soon be dragged into the pool.. Water bags and all. When I get home, I will take a pic you can get a better idea of what is going on. I was wondering if I should stick a hose under the tarp, and fill up with some more water to bring the water level up? Or work more on clearing off more of the water that is weighing down the cover?

24ef1b342edcca021e201f7e5d9c8726.jpg

6e7aa8b9c211d399d7b00820d415cac9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Above are the pics of the situation. And who knows, maybe this isn't even a "situation"? This is my first time closing, and only my 2nd time with the pool having a cover on it, since we moved in last March. I can't recall what the cover looked like last winter. Probably because I wasn't the one that put it on. I just need to know if it's normal for the cover to kinda pull in towards the middle of the pool like that? Instead of it keeping the water well dispersed over the entire cover, and remaining flat on the water surface. I'm guessing that if I remove more water from the top, it may go back to its original form? Or does that even matter, since I did confirm that the water level of the pool is still supporting the middle of the cover. It's just dipping down I'm assuming because of the weight?

When you pumped some of the water off of the cover you probably took some of the water OUT of the pool. Have you had much rain to refill the pool?

Most covers allow water to pass through them. I would put a hose in and add some water unless you have some rain coming your way.

Kim:kim:

There will still be some water evaporation, even it the tarp itself is really waterproof. I have an automatic cover that has been closed for months, and I see the water level dropping some - I do have a pump that stays on the cover in case of rain. But I have seen it dip slightly over the last couple of months. I will probably roll the cover back this week since we in the 70s to retest water and add some water.

That looks completely normal to me. With the warm pattern the east is having I'd personally drain some of the water off now while it's thawed as more weight will be added in the form of snow sooner or later. Unless my "stay away cold" dance works this year that is. Each year our cover looks the same way as the weight pulls the cover down somewhat. Worse case a corner may slip in but I've always been able to pull it back with no issues when it's happened to me.

As Kim mentioned it's also likely you've drained some water from the pool. It's likely only a small bit but there is a small loss. If it helps ya sleep you can also add some water as it won't hurt. In fact, I personally drain the rain water from the cover into the pool each year. :) Sure it adds some dirt but it's an easy fix next Spring.

Last item to help you sleep is the option to add more weight to hold the cover on the deck. Maybe take some old bleach bottles and fill them with water to hold the tarp in place. This has replaced water bags around the house as they're free and the darn bags never seemed to last more than a year or so!!

Thank you for the responses. It is a waterproof tarp, so I don't think I took water out of the pool when I put the pump on top of the tarp? I actually HAVE considered pumping the water off the top, and putting it into the pool.. heh.

One more question. Could someone recommend a 'decent' cover pump? Preferably off of Amazon. Not looking to break the bank, but just need something to replace the one that came with the house, and does about a gallon every 5 minutes :)

I'm glad you bright up this topic as it reminded me to pump off some water while it's nice outside. I really enjoy working outside in a T-Shirt this time of the year.

IMG_8482.jpg

Here is a photo taken today of our cover. I wish I could say I started with it folded back and neat as you did, but that would be a lie. Over the years I've learned regardless what I do it always ends up looking like this, so that's how I start. :) As mentioned above, if we get a good snow accoumation the cover may fall in on one side but it's always a snap to fix. I really don't think you've got much to worry about, but I'd pump the water from the cover into the pool just to save on your "top off" bill this Spring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nope. No. overflow drain. Maybe I'm wrong, and it didn't go down and it just appears that way from the weight if the water on top. Again, if anyone could recommend a good cheap pump for pool covers, that'd be fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is not likely the cheapest date but its well rated on Amazon and has a supposedly reliable auto shut-off, which was key for me. I bought it, but haven't had to use it yet because in my case its for emergency dome cover pumping if the winter dome I have covered pool with goes down in snow. So far haven't needed it, so this is not necessarily and endorsement, but I did search around a lot before I purchased it - was looking for reliability and longevity in extreme winter conditions ;)

https://www.amazon.com/WAYNE-WAPC250-Automatic-Water-Removal/dp/B008PPPRUK

I ended up down at Harbor Freight and found a cheap one that's worked fine for me. Didn't worry too much about the automatic switch however. The main thing we did was switch out the adapter and hook up a backflush hose rather than the standard garden hose. Larger hose equals more GPM. :)

Got my little pump from Walmart for about $50. Auto shut off. I have the end of the hose going in to my pool. To trap some dirt from going in pool I rubber banded a hair net to end of house going to pool. I also put my pump inside a plant basket and lined it with a hairnet too to keep dirt from getting in pump. I keep the pump plugged up and laying on top of cover all winter. It works great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.