payneinthe

Apr 24, 2024
Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After firing the pool guy, I've been using Leslies for the past few weeks to try to get a handle on the swamp. Discovered TFP and am in the process of really taking control of my pool.

I followed Leslie's equivalent of SLAM over the weekend, with some success. The thick layer of algae is gone and finally have some FC showing up and CC levels are zero. Spent most of the day Monday rinsing, cleaning and acid washing the filter cartridges since our post-rinsing PSI was over 30 and flow was quite restricted.

However, after all of this, and despite clear-looking water, we are still finding algae growing around the steps, so it looks we're heading into a real SLAM. After that, will need to deal with the huge stain on the bottom, and the vacuum collecting air and floating off the bottom. One step at a time...

unnamed (5).jpg
Image_20240424_134817_140.jpeg

Hey Pit and Welcome !!!!

I followed Leslie's equivalent of SLAM over the weekend,
Henceforth referred to as dump and pray. 😁

How are you testing ? Slam requires many tests a day at first and the pool store isn't going to test you for free repeatedly.

Test strips are far too vague to be of any use, like the CYA level that needs to be a factor of 10, not 0, 30 to 50, 100, 250.

Hey Pit and Welcome !!!!
Thanks! It's spelled pita. The 'a' is implied ;)

How are you testing ? Slam requires many tests a day at first and the pool store isn't going to test you for free repeatedly.
My TF-Pro showed up this afternoon. Problem is I am only home a day or two every couple weeks to do the testing, but there are "adult" "children" living there that I might be able to convince to help out. They sure don't mind enjoying the pool when it's not green...

Test strips are far too vague to be of any use, like the CYA level that needs to be a factor of 10, not 0, 30 to 50, 100, 250.
The CYA test was not very conclusive. I'm once again not there today, but according to my wife, the vial was full before the dot was obscured. The results she gave me was CYA=30, FC=1, CC=0 so I had her put 1.5 lbs of 70% hypo (working through $$$$ of the Leslie's products) to get up around FC=6, but this was before I found out there was still algae.

I had her retest, and FC is 5.2, CC is also 5.2. I'm having her add 30 additional oz of the 70% hypo

My TF-Pro showed up this afternoon
Sweet !!! It's jam packed with value. Each spring the reagents go on sale for $44. You don't need the vials, tubes, smart stir and case each year.

Problem is I am only home a day or two every couple weeks to do the testing, but there are "adult" "children" living there that I might be able to convince to help out. They sure don't mind enjoying the pool when it's not green...
Get them to test FC/PH and dose FC daily. PH will probably need weekly. It takes 5 mins after a week of doing it. From couch, to gathering supplies, going and doing, to couch. 5 mins.

The other parameters can be monthly as they don't change much.
The CYA test was not very conclusive
The googly eye laughs at us all.
I had her retest, and FC is 5.2,
Tell her to switch to 10ml samples and each drop is 1/2 FC. It saves 2.5X the supplies and .2 resolution never saved anybody. 2 point *anything* sucks. .5, .2, .8.......... I don't care. They all suck. :ROFLMAO: The 2 is the problem not the point whatevs.

Also tell her to dump the FC vial when the test is done. That one turns pink again a short time later and people often do all the drops again. Whatever happens after the sample goes clear doesn't count.