Tablets not dissolving in chlorinator?

thecabana

Jul 24, 2022
Austin, TX
Since I took over pool care last August (had a pool company for 3 months when we first bought our home), I completely stopped using chlorine pucks due to high CYA (70 at the time) and switched to liquid chlorine. Now my CYA needs to be raised (currently 30), and the previous owner left me A HUGE container of pucks. So I planned to use them to raise the CYA a bit and then switch back to liquid.

So I added 2 pucks into our inline chlorinator 2 weeks ago...and they still aren't dissolved. I have had to continue to add liquid chlorine the last 2 weeks because there is no significant addition from the pucks. It is set to 4 out of 5, the water seems to flow in and out without issue (it drains when the lid is opened, and it refills when the pump is turned back on). Our water temp has been 70-77 over the course of the two weeks. Any thoughts? While I know I could just add stabilizer a different way, I also want to be able to use the inline chlorinator when we travel longer than a couple days. Thanks!

The inline chlorinators are junk. The more you mess with them, the higher the likelihood they'll start leaking, especially as they age. I would pull the pucks out of it and never touch it again.

If you want to use the pucks to increase CYA or while on vacation, put them in a floating dispenser.

Reactions: jsygrls
They are extremely flow dependent, and unless a better low-flow model, work limited to none a lower pump speeds. When I do use mine for very purpose, and it's a low flow model, on highest setting, pump at mid speed, it will just keep up. At times I may have to supplement with liquid, at times I may not. Anything you do on changing pump speed or runtime affects the whole chlorination schedule. Floaters are 24/7 in the water. For insurance when out for a vacation week I just put more tabs in for insurance, which increases surface area. Or, you can also break in half and helps dissolve a bit better.

The inline chlorinators are junk. The more you mess with them, the higher the likelihood they'll start leaking, especially as they age. I would pull the pucks out of it and never touch it again.

If you want to use the pucks to increase CYA or while on vacation, put them in a floating dispenser.
We are likely doing a pool remodel in a year or so, including some plumbing updates (like removing an old booster pump and repurposing as another return) - I'm definitely considering removing it altogether at that time. I had hoped to use it in the meantime but it seems like it's not even doing its job! I can try a floater.

They are extremely flow dependent, and unless a better low-flow model, work limited to none a lower pump speeds. When I do use mine for very purpose, and it's a low flow model, on highest setting, pump at mid speed, it will just keep up. At times I may have to supplement with liquid, at times I may not. Anything you do on changing pump speed or runtime affects the whole chlorination schedule. Floaters are 24/7 in the water. For insurance when out for a vacation week I just put more tabs in for insurance, which increases surface area. Or, you can also break in half and helps dissolve a bit better.
We have a Rainbow 320. I think the previous owners used it exclusively and used pucks exclusively. And they had a pool company doing the chems for 2 years before we bought. But I'm not sure how many they loaded up in there or how they made it all work...and I haven't really touched it since I took over the chems. We have 6 hours of run time during the day at 2755rpm and then the rest of the time it runs at 1500rpm. It seems like a floater is a good option. Thanks for your response!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.