Clifton Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 15
My water of origin is naturally high in TA. I am currently trying to lower my TA to ~80 so I can add borates. I have this issue often. Once I get to about 120 it just doesn’t want to move anymore. I added borates last year with TA of 120 because I couldn’t get it down more. Absolutely love the borates. Should I just go ahead with the borates and quit fighting my TA. acid/fountain method
I know my chlorine is high. Working on salt cell adjustment. No bath load and lots of heavy cloudy days. Turn the salt cell off until it comes down.
TC 9
FC 0
PH 7.4
TA 130
CH 200
CYA 80
Salt. 4000
Borates 0
Temp. 83

Chlorine not high. Actually about right for that level of CYA.

Add the borates. No need to push the TA down quickly before adding them. They will still come down each time you add acid. The boric acid will raise the TA slightly.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Chlorine not high. Actually about right for that level of CYA.

Add the borates. No need to push the TA down quickly before adding them. They will still come down each time you add acid. The boric acid will raise the TA slightly.
TY. Is chlorine best at 7.5% of CYA? I have read 5% as well.

5% is minimum. Never go below. So target should be at least 7.5%. Best to target 10% and then you have buffer if you get a flock of birds or a bunch of teenagers in the pool.

Reactions: Choneykuhn
C,

Lowering TA is a process, not just a one time deal. It takes me about two full days to lower my TA.. (Although I have not done it lately as it is staying low).

You have to test pH and TA and then add the amount of acid to bring the pH down to about 7.0. Then turn on as much aeration as you can..

Then in two or three hours you do it again, and then again and again.. At first the TA does not move much, but it will start moving in larger increments.

I do this from morning until bedtime and start again the next day.. I leave the aeration on constantly..

If I want my TA to be 60, I shoot for 50, as it will come up to 60, almost immediately.

I do not use borates... and am happy I don't need another chemical to worry about. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

C,

Lowering TA is a process, not just a one time deal. It takes me about two full days to lower my TA.. (Although I have not done it lately as it is staying low).

You have to test pH and TA and then add the amount of acid to bring the pH down to about 7.0. Then turn on as much aeration as you can..

Then in two or three hours you do it again, and then again and again.. At first the TA does not move much, but it will start moving in larger increments.

I do this from morning until bedtime and start again the next day.. I leave the aeration on constantly..

If I want my TA to be 60, I shoot for 50, as it will come up to 60, almost immediately.

I do not use borates... and am happy I don't need another chemical to worry about. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
I don’t leave aeration on - only when it is time to raise pH. I also wait until ph gets to like 7.8 - turn off aeration - put acid until it tests ~7.0 - then start progress over. I will try your way. Mayb the quicker cycles is what I am missing. According to TFP borates help with pH jump and the water is hard to explain - borates seem to soften it even more and it is so clear. Glistens. Ty