TA question

Sep 19, 2016
Wilmington, OH
Hello : ) My TA has been gradually decreasing, and after a particularly heavy rain recently, it dropped to 80. I added 12 pounds of baking soda on the 30th, and I just rechecked it and it's only at 90. Is it common that it doesn't increase as expected? I mixed it with some pool water and divided it between two returns. Does it take longer than 48 hours to register completely? It was a brand new bag from Costco. Thank you!

Other numbers:
CYA - 45
FC - 4.5
CC - 0
CH - 250
PH - 7.4

Your signature shows a chlorine feeder, are you using pucks for regular chlorination? If so then yes, it is best to keep your TA above 100 because the pucks are very acidic and the higher TA helps keep your pH from dropping too quickly. However if your primary source of chlorination is liquid chlorine then it is best to keep your TA lower, in the 60-90 range for more stable pH.

As for why it didn't register, no as long as the baking soda was completely dissolved then it should register correctly after it mixes, usually within a half hour. It is possible that your TA continued to drop during that time for whatever reason, or perhaps something as small as a minor testing variance. Either way I would trust that you are only at 90.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.