TA levels very high at pool opening, old chemicals in test kit or really high?

Karen14

Bronze Supporter
Feb 5, 2016
Albany/NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I just had my pool opened on Friday and tested the the water today (they added liquid chlorine during the opening and I waited for the fc level to normalize). I use the TF-100 test kit but it is last years kit. Here are my numbers:
FC 8
CC 0
ph 7.5
CH 100
TA over 400 (never saw a complete color change)
CYA 60
salt 2100

For reference my numbers in the fall at close (before the company added liquid chlorine to shock):
FC 6
ph 7.5
CH 150
TA 90
CYA 40

I have never had a problem with TA before. Is it possible the the reagents from my kit have went off (it was new last spring so it is 1 year old)? or is it possible the my TA is really this high? Thanks!

That is one heck of an increase in TA for doing nothing but basically taking the cover off and opening the pool - and perhaps adding some water. Doesn't make sense. While those R7,8,9 TA reagents should still be good if stored in a cool/dry place, perhaps something is off. Your FC is certainly not high enough to skew the testing. Just to be sure, did you have to add much water for opening? If so, what is your local fill water's TA level? Also, can you confirm please how many drops of each bottle you used?

I did not have to add any more water as the water level was actually very high at opening. I asked the company to not add anything except liquid chlorine so I hope that they respected that. I added 2 drops of R-0007, 5 drops of R-0008 and use a speed stir. I then added 40 drops and stopped the test without complete color change. I store the kit in our shed over the winter. I can test the tap water this afternoon. But I guess I'll order another kit too. Thanks!

I'm thinking that you might have accidentally used the wrong reagent.

Did the water go pink at all, even briefly?

Any chance that you used a sample container that might have some sort of residue?

I'm thinking that you might have accidentally used the wrong reagent.

Did the water go pink at all, even briefly?

Any chance that you used a sample container that might have some sort of residue?

yes, when I added drops after about 10 the drops turned pink then quickly green.

yes, when I added drops after about 10 the drops turned pink then quickly green.

I just checked my well water and I added 30 drops with no color change (except the quick change each drop makes immediately when added to solution) I'm guess that it is the reagents. I'll order refills for my test kit ;). Is there any harm from high TA levels? Also, could temperature play a role (the water is about 40 degrees)

Thanks!

Temperature doesn't have an effect.

The R-0009 reagent shouldn't go bad. Have you ever tested the well water TA before?

Do you have any bottled water that you can test?

Thank you for all of these helpful suggestions. I just tested a bottle of poland springs water and the TA is 160. Is this high for bottled water? I did have my well water tested about 2 years ago and the TA at that time was 160. typically my pool reads around 100.

Thanks for all of your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the new kit and all is well. I'm surprised that it went off after a year but they do say to get a new kit every year. Now I'll know. Thanks for all of the advise!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.