Prosper, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My plaster pool completed at the beginning of March this year. It's now June, and my TA has gone from 110 to 60 naturally. I believe I'm getting to the low end of the target range for my pool. Ever since I've started doing chemical maintenance on my pool, it has demanded around 32oz of MA every 2 days. This hasn't changed throughout the 110 to 60 change in my TA.

The further reading page for TA explains that a lower TA should mean fewer acid additions, but I'm not observing that. What could explain the reason for the lack of change in acid demand? Is this a characteristic of new plaster pools (that they will demand acid regardless of TA level for the first year)?

BTW: My poolmath logs are available for viewing if needed.

My test kit has 7.8 and 7.5. After I add, I go from 8.2 to 7.5 typically. This is every two days.

I setup spillover mode on my aqualink specifically to cut down on water features. Now I run my sheers and slide for 5 minutes every day and the spillover twice a day, each for 20 minutes. Other than that, there's no aeration.

This post covers dissolving plaster.

This post covers dissolving plaster.

I clicked that before but it's 9 pages! Can you point me to a specific post to start reading from?

If the TA rise is from calcium carbonate from the plaster, you will get the same ppm increase in calcium hardness as you get in TA.

So, monitor the CH and TA to see if they rise by the same amount.

If they do, then that points to calcium carbonate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suspect your fill water has CH in it. Have you been adding fill water due to evaporation?

I suspect your fill water has CH in it. Have you been adding fill water due to evaporation?
I leave my autofill on 24/7. It's always running just a little bit because of constant water evaporation. I have not run a test on my tap water. Should I do that? And would I run all of the tests or just CH?

If the TA rise is from calcium carbonate from the plaster, you will get the same ppm increase in calcium hardness as you get in TA.

So, monitor the CH and TA to see if they rise by the same amount.

If they do, then that points to calcium carbonate.
I have data in Pool Math from March this year to show if there's a correlation. I haven't bothered to check since I wasn't aware of the relationship. I'll go back and try to make sense of what I've already recorded.
When you say "TA rise", does that mean the number is getting *lower*? For example, going from 110 -> 60 is a "rise"?

And none of this behavior has to do with the plater only being 3-4 months old?

So your fill water effects your TA and CH levels.
My TA I wasn't so concerned with, as my understanding is that it goes down over time as I add MA. So I figured the fact that it is at 60 is not unexpected.

What does concern me is the pH still requiring additions twice a day. But you said it's not unexpected due to the new plaster, so I figured the post was done and over with, and there were no issues.

However the CH is being brought up as an issue. It's gone from 275 in March to 425 now. If my tap water is 125, does that have an additive effect over time? When the water evaporates, is the calcium left behind, so the tap water continuously causes a build up?

Can you track how much fill water is added per day?
I have no way to measure that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.