East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I use a digital meter to read my salt level. It registers a steady 3400 every day for last two weeks or so. My 2+ year old Hayward 940 is reading 3100 most of the time. Instant reading is 3200 at one polarity and 3100 at the other.

I am concerned that my cell is showing signs of failure. It has a 4 year warranty and I reached out to Hayward before end of its second year. Unfortunately, they say I must find a local authorized repair facility. Website lists one, and they are too busy to look at my cell this summer (claim they only service their regular weekly service customers).

What should I do? Do I live with cell until it fails, or until end of season when local outlet will probably deal with me? Downside is that warranty is prorated and I lose a year of coverage, I think.

Guys who did install no longer service my pool and last thing I want is to bring them back (you don’t want to know what I paid for the installation- and I doubt anything was wrong with my old Jandy)

What makes you think you cell is failing?

The AquaRite uses the performance of the cell to determine salinity. For each cell (T-3, T-5, T-9 OR T-15), Hayward knows the performance of a properly functioning cell at each temperature and salinity combination. The higher the salinity and/or water temperature, the higher the performance (chlorine output).

To get the performance of the cell, divide the instant salinity by the actual salinity. If the ratio is less than 75%, it's time for a new cell. For example, 2,000 (instant salinity) ÷ 3,600 (measured salinity with a test kit)=56%. Check the cell and clean it if necessary. If that doesn't work, it's time for a new cell.

You should get the Taylor K-1766 Salt Test to use at times like this.

But assuming the 3400 is correct then your cell performance is 91%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.