T-100 Test results - new pool

No worries at all. Good questions. We promise your kids will not get out of the pool with green hair and glowing in the dark! :-D

HAHAHAHA! Good to know :)

- - - Updated - - -

So new numbers for today:
FC 4
CC .5
TA 140
PH 7.5-7.8 (have trouble judging the color on this one)

I dosed for FC last night to get it up to 5...surprised it was only 4 this morning. Not sure exactly what happened there.

Still dissolving CYA in the skimmer.

Also turned the return jet upward to try to get the TA down through aeration. Going to get some muriatic acid tomorrow to get ph down which I guess drops the TA as well? Our pool has a SWG so the TA needs to be lower apparently. Not sure how long it will take to get it lower...any tips or tricks? Thanks!

That is all looking pretty good!

Target TA for a saltwater pool is 60-80. No tricks to lowering TA, just work it, it will take weeks. Here is the article in Pool School discussing it.
Lowering Total Alkalinity

I have trouble keeping it down there myself. The main side effect of high TA is that your PH will rise. Keep an eye on it and add acid to bring it down.

That is all looking pretty good!

Target TA for a saltwater pool is 60-80. No tricks to lowering TA, just work it, it will take weeks. Here is the article in Pool School discussing it.
Lowering Total Alkalinity

I have trouble keeping it down there myself. The main side effect of high TA is that your PH will rise. Keep an eye on it and add acid to bring it down.

Ok sounds good. Will start working on this. I've got the article pulled up and I will just keep testing over the next few weeks. Thanks for the info.!

New numbers for today - we ran the boost cycle on the SWG last night to test it out. We swam a lot with sunscreen yesterday so thought it could hurt.

FC 9.5 (yikes...guess it's working...)
CC .5 (can't imagine why this is still showing at all with the higher chlorine level?)
TA 150 (went up another 10 points since yesterday...definitely need to grab some acid)

OTO chlorine showed 5 (highest number on test block)
PH still between the 7.5-7.8...you can tell it's very close to being 7.8.

So with the chlorine levels this high is it still safe to swim? LOL...that's obviously my priority with all these numbers is making sure it's safe to swim. Someone posted yesterday I think saying that as long as chlorine was under shock level and ph was good it's safe to swim. But how high is too high...obviously I wouldn't want to swim if chlorine was even close to shock levels.

Having a hard time thinking about the chlorine/CYA chart. Even though our pool is an SWG pool we ran it for a couple weeks with manual chlorine..so all our numbers were showing in good ranges for manual liquid chlorine. But now since we are switching over to the SWG having a hard time getting all the numbers down....'cause 9 is much too high for SWG. We turned the SWG off so chlorine can burn down some. Will try running just under 4 hours a day later this week after it's back down again to see how long we will need it to run to keep the chlorine levels stable. CYA in pool should be at 70 even though it's not testable yet. Hope this all makes sense. Don't think we've achieved a routine or a balance yet. I know you don't have to test with the T-100 everyday but that's what I've been doing to get the hang of all the numbers. Thanks!

With CYA of 70 it is safe to swim with FC under 28, so 27 is safe, 10 is certainly safe. Salt or not. The reason the FC targets are lower for SWG is because it is a more slow and steady form of chlorination. Your numbers are looking good and you are headed in the right direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.