Systems Junkie

Master_Of_None

May 10, 2022
DFW
I probably should have became an engineer like all my cousins, because I absolutely love troubleshooting, diagnosing, and repairing/improving any thing that I can. There is just something about understanding how things work, and making those things work even better that really makes me happy. My parents have both recently retired and I have finally convinced them to ditch there pool service and allow me to take over. (fingers crossed they'll fire the lawn crew next, as I would love to care for the home in any way I can and save them some $ while doing so) Like most homes in "Far North Dallas" The house was built in the mid 70s, and the pool has been there since day 1. They have lived there for nearly 20 years now and in that time the pool has gone through a lot. The previous owner left it as a pond for 4 years, so when we moved in it was drained, resurfaced, and got new plumbing, pumps, and a heater. About 3 years ago we replaced the Heater and the filter. The masonry (red brick coping) and Tile are worse for the ware and need replacing or relaying as soon as possible. Pretty sure far skimmer has a leak some where as the cement around it is cracked, and the skimmer walls are deformed; so much so that getting the basket out requires a bit of know how.
I am 32, folks are 61 and 62. The Pool is 46, and all though she is literally "rough around the edges" she has had some work done so she looks a lot younger than she is lol. The problems are plenty, but I will knock them all out one by one. My main focus is keeping the System healthy and the water beautiful and perfectly swim ready at all times.

Pool Gallons: 32000 (plaster/Marcite)
Spa Gallons: unsure
Filter: Jandy DEV60
Heater: Jandy pro JXI
Spa Blower: Jandy pro PSB215
Booster Pump: Hayward 6060
Pump: Hayward Tristar with 1.65HP Century Centurion motor
Valves: x4 Jandy Space Saver. X2 Jandy Never Lube. X1 Jandy check valve
Plumbing: all LASCO PVC
Vacuum: Polaris vac-sweep 280
Brain: brand new breaker box, and the original 2 Intermatic time switches from '76
Skimmers: x2 (deep shallow) with two holes, one shallow hole that does not look like it goes anywhere, and one deep that looks like it actual does something
Features: X4 lion head fountains, X2 dead pool lights (shallow, and deep), X1 dead spa light.

Welcome to TFP! You have a large pool. How do you sanitize it? Since you have a pool service, probably chlorine pucks? Well, since the service probably showed up once a week, dosed some acid and added pucks to the chlorinator, you will need to get a reliable, recommended test kit. Which one? There are 2 recommended, the TF-100 from tftestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006C from online sources but mainly Amazon. With a reliable test kit, you can take over the maintenance of this pool.

Oh, btw, you just have to post some photos of the pool and the equipment pad. Just sayin' :cool:

We had a pool service but for the last month and a half it's just been me. I use the Taylor K-2006C and swing by leslies with a sample once every 2 weeks after I backwash. I find Floating chlorinators tacky (I wish I didn't but I do) so I just let the pumps run 23hrs, seven days a week; and toss the tabs(leslies 3" jumbo trichlor) in the skimmers underneath the baskets because "I like to live dangerously" 😈. I'll probably grab a chlorinator some time this summer. I'll most likely be posting pics on project to project basis. I appreciate the warm welcome and the advice on the kits. Thankya kindly