System reporting salt levels lower than actual.

I kept chasing the salt levels and finally took the water to a pool shop and found that the salt level was way high (>5000) even though system says it's low. Now that I drained about 2 feet of water and refilled, chlorinator turns off due to low salt (<2000). The test strips i bought at the pool shop say it is at 3500 now.

I changed the cell type in setup from T-15 to T-5 and this tricks the unit into reporting a level about 3200, and the salt cell is working fine. Does this seem like an old cell or problem with main board or perhaps both? Volts are ~27 and amps about ~4 no matter what salt cell I pick in the setup. But T-15 and T-9 read low and T-5 and T-3 read close. I know this is not ideal, but chlorinator is working for now.

FYI, System is just over 7 years old and I clean the salt cell every so often (1 or 2 times a year as needed via visual inspection) with 4-1 water/muriatic acid mixture. I tried that last week and no bubbles/fizz, so I suspect it is clean.

Last edited:
Steve,

You should never trust what the Cell reports unless you have a good salt test kit to compare the Reported salt with the Actual salt level..

This is why your salt level was so high.. Anyone with a saltwater pool needs a salt test kit like the one I use... The Taylor K-1766..

Thanks,

Jim R.