Switching to TFP method - first time to test using kit -

Thank you. I'll be able to pick some up at the pool store tomorrow. I don't mind so much that I've gone through more chlorine than I needed to -- just got concerned when I read under Basic Pool Chemistry "Be careful if your CYA level is really and truly zero. When CYA is really zero you should not bring the FC level above 5." I don't want to damage anything! That's what I'm really freaking out about.

Just an update. I passed the OCLT test. My water is sparkly clear. (Too bad my pool surface looks so rough - water is so clean I can see every flaw.) I've been slowly adding CYA since last night (some in a skimmer sock and some hanging from pantyhose per what I read in other posts - seems funny but it's working). I'm waiting until I finish adding the CYA to test again. Thanks to all of you who have helped! I will continue to have questions (and maybe some more times when I freak out a little bit). :)

You are doing great!!!!!!!

CYA-wait to test. It takes about a week for it to dissolve all the way.

Keep testing the FC like you have been.

After a while you will know what your numbers will be just be looking at the pool!

There was one time I looked out my kitchen window and had to run out to the pool to see where the water went! It was SO clear I thought it was gone!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will be you soon!

Kim

Last edited:
How long before a CYA reading will be accurate? I have added 5.75 lbs so far and will add the rest tomorrow -- supposed to add 7 lbs total assuming I did my math correctly. (I tested it tonight just out of curiosity b/c I had NO CYA before and I wanted to see if it would read something. It was at 20.)

FC = 4
CC = .5
Cal was 150, but is this accurate right now? It seemed weird -- purple water with hot pink spots suspended throughout. I figured that must be b/c of the CYA being added.

How long before a CYA reading will be accurate? I have added 5.75 lbs so far and will add the rest tomorrow -- supposed to add 7 lbs total assuming I did my math correctly. (I tested it tonight just out of curiosity b/c I had NO CYA before and I wanted to see if it would read something. It was at 20.).
it can take up to a week to fully register on the test. You want to under shoot you target, test then add a little more. That way you don't overshoot the goal.

Want to check in to make sure I'm still on track and doing the right thing with testing. Pool math tells me I need to add 16 oz of bleach, 155 oz of baking soda, and 358 oz of calcium. Also, I'll probably need to add stabilizer, but I'm holding off on that per advice from you kind people.

I assume my first order of business is to add the bleach tonight. Then tomorrow, add the others, but not at the same time - maybe an hour apart? Broadcast across the pool?

I am also curious about the CH test. When I test for calcium, the fluid doesn't change to a solid blue, but instead sort of purple with bright pink spots suspended in the liquid. I'll post a picture. I read about "fading endpoint" on the Extended Test Kit Directions page, but it didn't sound like the same thing. I will try the alternate method of doing the test when I test again, but I thought I'd ask.

Today's results:
FC 1.5
CC .5
TC 2
Cal 150 ppm (if I read this correctly)
TA 70
CYA around 23, but I know I'm not supposed to go by this b/c I just added stabilizer a few days ago.

Here is a picture - I'm not sure if you'll see what I'm talking about or not...

Want to check in to make sure I'm still on track and doing the right thing with testing. Pool math tells me I need to add 16 oz of bleach, 155 oz of baking soda, and 358 oz of calcium. Also, I'll probably need to add stabilizer, but I'm holding off on that per advice from you kind people.

I assume my first order of business is to add the bleach tonight. Then tomorrow, add the others, but not at the same time - maybe an hour apart? Broadcast across the pool?

I am also curious about the CH test. When I test for calcium, the fluid doesn't change to a solid blue, but instead sort of purple with bright pink spots suspended in the liquid. I'll post a picture. I read about "fading endpoint" on the Extended Test Kit Directions page, but it didn't sound like the same thing. I will try the alternate method of doing the test when I test again, but I thought I'd ask.

Today's results:
FC 1.5
CC .5
TC 2
Cal 150 ppm (if I read this correctly)
TA 70
CYA around 23, but I know I'm not supposed to go by this b/c I just added stabilizer a few days ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 36
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.