Switching pool supply line from irrigation supply to domestic supply line

May 22, 2014
Dallas, TX
We have two water meters: a 1" domestic and a 2" for the irrigation and, previously, the pool autofill. The pool and house were built in the 19500s when the pool supply line could be connected to the irrigation supply line.

When the pool was remodeled, the building code required the pool to be connected to the domestic line instead. The contractor did this by jury-rigging a connection to a hose bib with a right angle cut-off and a y-splitter to enable both a hose connection and the other with a backflow valve connected underground to the autofill.

I have no idea what happened to the previous connection to the 2" line but am wondering if something is still connected because I discovered that when the sprinkler system runs on the 2" line, the meter on the 1" line MOVES slowly indicating water is flowing through it as well (even though nothing is running in the house), most notably when one zone of the irrigation near the pool equipment is running. Could the 2" line be sucking in water from the 1" line?

Any guidance in figuring out this mystery would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like the new autofill line was added, and the old autofill line was left as was. The domestic line is now feeding the house and partially the irrigation. The main issue is whether it was tied to the autofill plumbing where backflow protection is still effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matrixunloaded
I would assume the original setup was to avoid sewage fees on your water bill for pool fill water. Not sure why that isn't code anymore but I would switch it myself back to the other meter.

Reactions: Matrixunloaded
Sounds like the new autofill line was added, and the old autofill line was left as was. The domestic line is now feeding the house and partially the irrigation. The main issue is whether it was tied to the autofill plumbing where backflow protection is still effective.
Thanks for confirming my thought. This along with the difficulty in access the meters has caused confusion for several years. The pool company that did the remodel was a nightmare to deal with and I had to check everything. It came to be a serious problem after we put in a water cutoff sensor/valve on the domestic line but have never been able to complete a leak "health test" because the sensor always detected a pressure loss with the supply line cut off--even with the autofill closed off. I had attributed this to a pressure reduction valve on it to reduce the 73psi to the recommended range for the pool filter. We kept getting shutoffs of the domestic line until I lowered the sensitivity setting on the sensor.

It seems like the only way to fix the problem is to dig up and remove to old supply line and cap it off.
Does that make sense? I am a novice with all this. Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.