Switching from Chlorine to Mineral Springs or Salt

You need a stand alone SWCG (salt water cell generator) unit that'll convert the salinity in the water to produce chlorine. All the extra junk is sales pitch because why then all here on the forum using SWCG's without the hype have crystal clear water. If they're telling you it's a turn key solution then know they are not honest because no such animal regardless what you spend.
Since I’ll finally be going away from the chlorine tablets, what’s the best way to keep CYA level w/ salt water pool?

Since I’ll finally be going away from the chlorine tablets, what’s the best way to keep CYA level w/ salt water pool?
Add dry stabilizer using the sock method when necessary.

Add the salt test to the test kit you have - TF-100 Salt Test Kit

Thanks all! What is the recommended salt that this website recommends?

I like Morton’s Diamond Crystal, or Aquasalt. Stay away from Clorox at any price.

Some folks use water softener salt as long as it is pure with no additives.

Regular water softener salt with the yellow or blue label by Morton or diamond crystal and either the pellets or the salt crystals as they are one in the same just different configuration. Here again you need to know the salinity of the water before you add as you may have much higher salinity in the water from chlorine then you think. Don't add all the salt at once and check 24-48 hours later with pump running what actual salinity is present. Overshooting is a drain refill kind of thing so creep up to whatever the target is. SWCG needs to be OFF for 24 hours after the salt has been dumped in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the TF-100 Salt test better than they Taylor one? Same thing? And is their a “pro” version since I am using the TF-Pro Test Kit?
Both tests are identical. Just one has the Taylor brand.

Pro test kit is the same tests just different bottles and case.

Both tests are identical. Just one has the Taylor brand.

Pro test kit is the same tests just different bottles and case.
So I don’t know need to buy an entire new kit, right? I can just add either the Taylor or TF Salt tester?

I don’t think the TF-Pro has anymore room in it for the salt test. Do most people just leave that out of the storage?

So I don’t know need to buy an entire new kit, right? I can just add either the Taylor or TF Salt tester?

Correct.

I don’t think the TF-Pro has anymore room in it for the salt test. Do most people just leave that out of the storage?

Dunno. I have an old kit. The Taylor K-1766 test comes in a small box.

Reactions: hokiejaws07
I don’t have the TF Pro, but I made room by chunking the OTO FC test reagent and something else I can’t recall off top of my head.

Update: oh, I took the CYA test items out and moved them to a separate bag as I test CYA much less frequently.

Reactions: hokiejaws07
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.